Does anyone know what this cable is?

I showed it to the guy at O'Riley's and he wasn't sure.

Also, I assume going off the air filter that the '83,Dolphin has the 2.4, engine as opposed to sat the 2.2 (no manual and couldn't find the numbers anywhere).

Thank you. :-)

post-8373-0-44400200-1439122369_thumb.jp

post-8373-0-52098300-1439122421_thumb.jp

post-8373-0-59734400-1439122459_thumb.jp

Cruise control cable (aftermarket) it should lead to a box if it's still there.

Does anyone know what this cable is?

I showed it to the guy at O'Riley's and he wasn't sure.

Also, I assume going off the air filter that the '83,Dolphin has the 2.4, engine as opposed to sat the 2.2 (no manual and couldn't find the numbers anywhere).

Thank you. :-)

The vin tag says it's a 2.2R Look at the front of the valve cover there usually is a tag there.

The 22R is 2.4, 20R is 2.2.

20R 1975-1980....22R (short block) 1981-1984.....22R(E)(Tall block) 1985-1997.

The R series of engines go back to the early 1950s and as they were redesigned they got a new R number, which has nothing to do with the size of the engine but just were it is in the series.

The lamp-switch type beaded chain is a dead give-away. Aftermarket cruise-control cable as Mr.AH Maine already stated. I doubt any parts store is going to find that in their books as an OEM type part.

"20R: 2189cc (88.5mm X 89mm),1975-’80, used in pick-ups, Celicas and Coronas.

21R: 1972cc (84mm X 89mm), used in overseas markets and not available in the U.S.

22R, 22RE, 22REC, 22RTEC: 2367cc (92mm X 89mm), used in 1981-’94 pick-ups, 4-Runners, Celicas through 1985, and Coronas through 1982."

Toyota 22R Series

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/1998/11/just-imports-toyota-r-series/

​

I guess the vin stating it was a 22R 2366 CC might have been a dead give away that it was a 2.4L unless the engine had been changed out.

Might have been, except to the general public, and probably a lot of chain parts store employees, those things mean very little. Parts person just knows what his computer is asking him, guy with a new motorhome just knows he has an 83 Dolphin. 2366CC wouldn't have any relation to 2.4L engine displacement to my mind, just a few years ago, and I had done quite a bit of my own repairs at that point.

Well frankly if a parts store can't figure out what the VIN says you should go elsewhere The Japanese have all ways rounded up on displacement. The VIN should be your friend when you show up to buy parts. For many years Toyota replacement parts required a production date because Toyota changed design during production runs. It was not meant to belittle the OP just to use the VIN to his advantage to make sure he got the right part. Even the titled date of the MH really is not the correct year the truck is generally a year older.