Considering Buying...any Reviews, Recommendations, Comments Welcome

guyg

I've found this 1989 22 ft Odyssey Americana for sale in my area. Six cyl with 75k miles. Any thoughts certainly welcome. They're asking $5k. Reasonable? Thanks in advance for your input. I've always been happy with our Toyota cars and pickups and hope the same would extend to the camper products. (Edited: should have said 75k not 7k).

post-8303-0-09113700-1435070559_thumb.jp

Edited by guyg

Sounds like a good price. I'm sure you know that Toyota's reputation has little to do with an RV body stuck on the back unless it's a Toyota-sponsored RV like a 70s Chinook. How does that V6 have only 7K miles? That's the only part of the story that would make me nervous unless you know, 100% for sure, what was replaced. That is unless the entire RV only has 7K miles. I see a lot of engines being called "rebuilt" or "new" that are not either.

Others here will have more/better suggestions, but here's where I'd start...

• Make sure it's got the full-floating 1-ton axle on the rear.
  • Check the tires: tread condition and date (10 years+ is considered risky). New rubber could run you 6-8 bills.
  • Did you mean 70K on the mileage? Make sure it's had the timing belt replaced.
  • V6 had head gasket problems. Verify with paperwork and/or dealer that this service was done.
  • Leaks are frequently a problem on older rigs. Check the ceiling for evidence and walk around on the roof some; it shouldn't feel like it's going to cave in on you.

Hard to tell much from one exterior photo, but if the interior isn't trashed, and it drives/brakes well... then, yeah $5K is probably a good price.

Thanks, ctgriffi. Good info. None of the interior pix shows the roof line, so really can't tell without seeing it. Plan to do that in a couple of days. And thanks for the tip on head gasket issue. Knew about the timing belt.

Well it's not an Americana. It is an Odyssey but wrong model. 5000 is a good price for this if everything works well

Linda S

Looking at the ad now. Front windows have been covered so may have been some water damage there in the past but repair looks very well done. Inside looks faded but clean. That rose color didn't age well. The biggy here is this baby is the 5 speed. Super hard to find. Buy this thing