Clean And Seal Caulk ??

Vanman

When I had the Toy painted he caulked everything and it looked great. Now I am seeing dirt buildup on all of it, some minor and some really terrible. Different kinds of caulk looks like.

Tried a small paint brush and some mild soap and got all the green mold and the cleaning on the rest varied. Is there some kind of caulk sealer / paint that I can apply with a small brush??? I really suck at applying caulk neatly and don't want to remove any of it as it seems to be sealing well and it looks even and smooth, much better than I could do. TIA

John

Try oil based Rustoleum. Found it recommended on a boat site. Some kinds of caulk are more mold friendly than others because they contain latex which is food for mold. Find out what the guy used so you know better how to deal with it.

Linda S

When I had the Toy painted he caulked everything and it looked great. Now I am seeing dirt buildup on all of it, some minor and some really terrible. Different kinds of caulk looks like.

Tried a small paint brush and some mild soap and got all the green mold and the cleaning on the rest varied. Is there some kind of caulk sealer / paint that I can apply with a small brush??? I really suck at applying caulk neatly and don't want to remove any of it as it seems to be sealing well and it looks even and smooth, much better than I could do. TIA

John

A lot of caulks are formulated to be paintable. Do a test spot with the paint you want to use. If it is paintable caulk then latex will stick to it. Or you could ask your painter if he used paintable caulk. Did he give you a touch up kit? Maybe he even has some leftover paint still around. Or if it is paintable caulk you could even put clear acrylic varnish over the caulk to seal up its inclination to be sticky. Acrylic is a good choice in that it is by nature a rather flexible film surface coating.

As to caulking...do it this way with tape. Note how he pulls the tape, it is almost straight back on itself. You do need to pull it while the caulk is still wet and not wait until it is dried. Also note he has a wet rag in hand and yes you do need to keep your finger wet too or the caulk with bunch up on it and won't smooth out properly. As with any new skill, take the time to do some practice before you start doing it on your project. Don't give up on learning how to caulk, you can master this skill and it is a skill you will need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TFqzLWdyUE

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems there are 4 different caulks, dull white, off white, stiff semiclear and softer more clear!! All the green mold /algae comes off if you try hard enough.
Underneath the rear mounted spare I will begin experimenting with the Rustoleum oil paint, I have several to play with. If that works I have found a can of this paint at the local hardware store that almost exactly matches the coach color. I have a set of small artist brushes that are ideal for this. We'll see.
BTW the metal railing for my home outside stairs uses the Rustoleum Aluminum oil paint and it's great. Goes on easy, looks super, and lasts for many years. :)