Glad To Not Have Modern Gizmos (Not Related To Toyota)

zero

I read this and got thinking how much I like the simplicity of older vehicles like my Toyotas. Also how much I do NOT like whiney tax-payer supported General Motors. GEEZ. What a silly way to die - but the waffles sound good. I feel particularly bad for the dog - he/she had no option to read the owner's manual.

PORT ARTHUR, TX – Investigators say 72-year-old James Rogers died inside his Corvette, along with his dog, after he was unable to open the doors or windows of his car.

After Rogers finished eating at a Waffle House last week where he is a regular, he got into his 2007 Corvette with his dog, Leia.

What Rogers didn’t know was that a loose battery cable was the reason why his car would not start, and also why he was unable to unlock the doors or roll down the windows. Even worse, Rogers had accidentally left his phone in the restaurant.

Eventually another customer noticed Rogers unresponsive in the car and they, along with store employees, tried to get the doors open. Firefighters arrived and busted out a window, but by then it was too late. Both Rogers and his dog would die from heat exhaustion.

What makes this story so tragic is that had Rogers read the manual to his car, he would have known that the Corvette is equipped with a manual release on the driver’s side of the car that bypasses the battery and will unlock the doors.

According to Rogers’ daughter, there was evidence that her father struggled to get out of the car, and may have been looking through the owner’s manual when he died.

Technology leads to dependence. A friend of mine, an engineer, was at a convenience store when a young lady walked in, crying, that the battery on her remote key had died. She coudn't get back in to her car.

He pointed out that her key was still a physical key and could open the door.

Technology leads to dependence. .

Yes, for sure. I wonder how many people have frozen to death because they hopped in their car when it's 20 below 0 F and assumed they are safe with car-heat and a cell-phone? Two years ago a couple froze to death near me in New York because their car ran out of gas, and they had no cell-phone coverage. How did the press and government officials respond? I would of written it off to Darwin's natural selection. NOPE. The phone companies got blamed for not having good enough cell coverage.

Wy has many cell phone dead spots, that's just the way it is. Every year someone will follow their GPS into oblivion on a road thats closed for winter