Checking In

Debbit

I thought I'd "report" on how it is to camp and travel in my "new" rig. While a good cruiser once you get going, the Rialta is no speed demon. It is a little quieter and easier to drive on the interstates, and it gets a little better mileage, it isn't as roomy as the toyhome. Doesn't have as much storage, but an amazing number of cubbies everywhere (good memory tests) the water heater is interesting. It heats the water while driving and it stays hot a long time. But when it cools off, you start the generator because the water heater is only electric. Kitchen is much more compact, but floor space is better. Making bed each night isn't as convenient, but bed is comfortable. Fridge is small and problematic. It is easier to get around tight spots in, again only marginally.

What's done is done, and I like the Rialta. But I know my sunrader would have been a better bet mechanically. I am amazed at how difficult this is going to be to get worked on. VW won't work on them! Just hope it will be as dependable as the Toyota, but it's a gamble.

I think we will all keep our collective fingers crossed for you. Any vehicle purchase is a bit of a gamble. I bought a new car a couple years ago that bad seals ate it's dual clutches and the first repair went so horribly wrong the transmission needed to then be replaced. The car before that went almost 200k miles with barely more than typical maint service.

I recall from your original post that this was precipitated by family obligations. I'm in the middle of dealing with elderly parents, mine and my wife's and can appreciate how these situations can change your life plans.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you.

Thanks for the report. I started looking for a Vixen and decided that they were all overpriced restoration projects. Then went on to look for a Rialta. I got frustrated looking for a decent one for a fair price. I went for the Toy as there were more available for reasonable money and easier to service.

There is a Rialta group if you have not found it yet. Duane is the Rialta expert there, he is always willing to help. Good luck Jim SW FL

http://www.bigtent.com/group/forum

Head room is too short for me I looked at one several years ago. Don't know why VW won't work on them they are nothing more than an Eurovan.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are getting comfortable under the vehicle. Got help from those forums, and a parts supplier that was a big help in ordering proper transmission filter, gasket and fluid and other maintainence parts and information. I think the gas filter made a huge difference, it is much peppier.

VW won't work on it because it has a vin number reflecting its winnabego build, and they "can't authorize the specs" or some such nonsense. There are very complete DIY instructions for servicing the transmission, and we feel good that we did it ourselves.

Luckily we are short, but the headroom is about 6'2"".

We got this for a really reasonable price. I probably wouldn't have been tempted otherwise. Mostly, I can park in out of town family's driveways.

It cruises along strong and quiet at about 60. It will easily go faster, but the Rpms go up to around 4000 at 65-70, and I think thats pushing it too much. So stay around 62. If I need it, the pick up is there. Mpg is good so far. Around 17. Before new fuel and air filter.

I do miss the sunrader camping though.

post-7310-0-12718000-1432436590_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-52478200-1432437030_thumb.jp