I know little of these repairs and only a little about the cost of rebuilt engines but am learning more about both. If I have exhaust gasket work with possible bolt issues, replacing a catalyic converter, having 71kmiles, on it and no guarantee that there may be some other hidden issues( head gasket was gone in 98 and he acted like no issue there and no need for compression check) should I be considering a rebuilt engine short or long block as a better investment. I saw somewhere on the forum where rebuilt engines were available from the northwest. I need to know how much the engines cost( I thought I rememeber like $2800) and how much labor is to take one ouf and put one in and how much exhaust gasket work would still remain outside of such a purchase. I do not have alot of cash to throw around it is just if there is only about $1000 between alot of fixing and a rebuilt one then the extra $ 1000 would seem justified. Please inform me. Doug

Last any body reported a new V-6 installed was $6000. $2000 of that was labor.

I rebuilt my 22RE. Reason for rebuilding myself as opposed to getting a long block was that I generally don't trust repair shops and I'm pretty handy. The cost or rebuilding my 2RE is summarized in the posting below.

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...post&p=1821

I did use almost entirely new parts other than the block, crank and water pump and I would say the cost was quite reasonable. I did a major trip (close to 4000 miles) right after the rebuild and had no engine related issues at all. Did have some transmission issues that kept me out of the passes in Colorado.

I must say that I didn't do a good enough job on re-honing the cylinders, with the result that the new rings have not bedded in properly and oil consumption is higher than expected (higher than before the rebuild). It is a definite problem with certain things like the honing, that the proper tools are generally not available except to the professional. It obviously wasn't worth while paying $1500 for a good quality hone and the crappy Sears unit just couldn't cut the mustard. I have actually found compression to be higher than before the rebuild, since I now have to use premium gas, its just the oil consumption issue.

My winter project is prepping a GM 3400 V6 for a transplant into my Dolphin, together with a T700 (4L60) transmission from a Camaro. These are components for which spares and service is readily available anywhere in the US and I will feel more at ease than continuing with my 21 year old Toyota parts. I did have a more serious transmission issue on my most recent trip, this time the transmission refuses to upshift until the transmission oil reached a certain minimum temperature.

In my opinion, it is hard to justify spending $6000 for a new engine, since it does not increase the market value of the vehicle by the same amount.

Keith can you say dingle ball hone?? I had oil consumption of 600 mi to the qt. I did an "inframe" overhaul in my driveway using a ball hone and Hastings rings. Drove if carefully around town for a couple of weeks. Now its 4000mi to the qt.

I don't like to use long stone hones on cylinders that have not been bored.