Lug Nut Wrench

Ace57

i just carry a big flex handle and a long 6 point heavy duty socket and 8 inch extension all half inch drive soory I don't rem remember the nut size don't have my m h here at house

What size wrench fits the rear lug nuts on a full floating axle? I need to buy one.

Thanks.

Depends on what brand you have for lug nuts. Most I've seen or had are 13/16" - same as 21 mm. I've seen a few though that are 7/8" (22 mm) and 15/16" (23 mm).

I carry a big cross-bar four-size lug wrench then works fine.

Yes, it's worth checking ALL your lug nuts to make they're ALL the same size.

It's also worth practicing loosening them ALL in the comfort of your own driveway. They should have been torqued to 170ft-lb (or 141ft-lb) which is quite a bit higher than your typical car or pickup.

Yes, it's worth checking ALL your lug nuts to make they're ALL the same size.

It's also worth practicing loosening them ALL in the comfort of your own driveway. They should have been torqued to 170ft-lb (or 141ft-lb) which is quite a bit higher than your typical car or pickup.

I'll add to that. If a new owner - check to see if you can even get the wheels OFF once the lug-nuts are off. When I got my Mini-cruiser - I suspect the rear wheels had not been over for 10-15 years. Not uncommon with an RV that spends much of its life parked. Mine would not budge. Not even with a sledge hammer. Getting them free turned into a major operation. Thank God I checked before I got a flat out on the road somewhere.

And if "they've just been off for new tires", check them anyway. I had a tire replaced at a tire shop on the road driving a new vehicle home. The next day I wanted to pull the wheels to check the brakes. No way could I get a front wheel off. Snapped a lug wrench, bent another and failed to budge the nuts with an electric impact wrench. I finally took it to a garage and they succeeded only by using an acetylene torch. Needed 2 new lugs and nuts. I probably should have replaced them all (but didn't).

If you need a 23MM socket they are not in most sets. I wonder what sadistic engineer decided it was the right size for this application? The average set contains 20MM 22MM 24MM and not the elusive 23MM, maybe the higher end Snap On and such sets have them.

I bought one at Lowes for $7. http://www.lowes.com/pd_338069-25428-85385_0__?productId=3388872 Available other places but Lowe's was convenient for me.

If you have great difficulty trying to get nuts off it might be in your best interest to take it some where and have them loosened the first time. Then learn about proper installation of lug nuts and save your self some expense and grief!

http://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/how-to-torque-lug-nuts-properly/view-all

HTH JIm SW FL

If you need a 23MM socket they are not in most sets. I wonder what sadistic engineer decided it was the right size for this application? The average set contains 20MM 22MM 24MM and not the elusive 23MM, maybe the higher end Snap On and such sets have them.

Though not 'perfect', that's where a 15/16" socket gets used.

Thanks all, before I retired I worked on semitrucks for 35 years and like a fool I sold all my tools so now I get to rebuy the ones I need. I think I need a 23mm.

Though not 'perfect', that's where a 15/16" socket gets used.

Mine were nice shiny chrome at one time in there life and now they are all chewed up. So I had a good justifiable reason to buy another tool :) JIm SW FL

With nuts that large, it makes little difference if in MMs or inches. In fact, I've got some large sockets in a 1" drive set that are marked in both inch sizes and millimeters. A six-point 13/16" , 7/8" or 15/16" socket can fit better with less chance of slip then the proper mm size in 12 point.

Good reminder. Applies (I believe) to only 1 year (1986 chassis) with the 6 hand-hole rims and rear axle only.

I have a 1986 Sunrader and was under the impression it has a 1985 chassis, either way you are correct about the 6 hand-hole rims and rear axle only

I found a nice 1/2" drive 6 point broached 23mm socket at Autozone. Add a 6" 1/2" drive extension and from Lowes at half price sale a 1/2" drive clicker torque wrench. Nice thing about it is it's longer than the other 1/2" ones I've seen, lots of leverage. Yeah the original lugnuts were all barfed up but have been all replaced.