93 Seabreze V6 auto.

Now it appears the radiator has sprung a leak!! I mentioned taking it to a radiator shop and having it rodded and repaired to a friend and he laughed and said new ones are cheap!

Ok so new ones are cheap here is a plastic with aluminum core on Ebay for $69.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-FOR-TOYOTA-FITS-PICKUP-4RUNNER-3-0-V6-6CYL-2WD-/271385008167?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993|Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup|Submodel%3ABase|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.0L&hash=item3f2fce9827&vxp=mtr

That is cheap, Is it worth buying?

Here is what appears to be an old fashioned radiator for $320. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-CSF-WD-EXPRESS-115-51057-590-fits-88-94-Toyota-Pickup-/111380542501?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993|Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup|Submodel%3ABase|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.0L&hash=item19eecc3425&vxp=mtr

Better to buy cheap new or have old one rodded and repaired??

Might as well replace the transmission cooler and condensor, timing belt and what else while I am in there. JIm SW FL

Rockauto has 10 different models to choose from ($77 to $120) with good descriptions.

If you failure is due to corrosion, there could be other potential leaks. Better to go new.

Also, my fan shroud was very brittle and I ended up cracking it in two places. I repaired it with fiber glass and resin. Looks like new ones are not as expensive as they were several years ago. Treat yours carefully to avoid my mistake.

In my opinion, the days of "rodding" for radiators are over - unless you've got some odd-ball radiator that you cannot find new or get a new core for. Many copper radiators suffer from "solder bloom" and that's something even a good "rod job" can't fix.

With modern labor costs - and considering a 25-35 year core is likely to be thin, I don't see where repair is worth the bother. A plastic-tanked radiator with an aluminum core will cool just as well as an "old school" raditator all copper and brass. Granted a new one won't take physical abuse as well - but that is not a common issue. E.g. my water-pump shaft recently broke off in my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser and the fan came half-way through the radiator core. Yet - it still does not leak. An an aluminum core would of been ruined. But - if it DID leak - I'd stick an aluminum and plastic radiator in there. Both my diesel trucks have them. So do both my Dodge Grand Caravans and my Kia Sportage. NO problems. One of my Dodge vans and my Kia Sportage both had over 200,000 miles when they started to run hot ONLY when the AC was on. NO leaks. That was with the OEM aluminum and plastic radiators. For less then $100 each - I put in brand new ones and they've been fine ever since.

My 1983 diesel Chevy truck started running hot with the OEM brass/copper radiator and found out it was plugged with "solder bloom." I took the tanks off myself and tried to rod it out. NO good. I finally just bought a brand new radiator.