1979 Chinook Eagle Non-Popup And Low Roof

zero

I've been reading through and scanning info from many old camping and RV magazines. I came across something I did not know ever existed. A newly released Chinook Eagle in 1979. Low roof like the pop-tops (like my 1978) but one-piece. I.e. it stays low. It was being offered on Toyotas, Dastuns, and Ford Couriers. This from an October, 1979 article. Says it measures 17' 3" bumper to bumper. Came with a sink, ice-box, and 5 gallon water tank. No cook-top and not heating furnace and no propane tank. No roof that can be raised and head-room in the main area is 4' 5". Retail price said to be "under $9000." The vehicle tested in this article was on a Datsun truck and got an overall average of 14.5 MPG. The Chinook in the ad looks pretty much like a pop-top Chinook from 1978, but with a one-piece body instead of the separate roof lid. Big initials in front of the RV body that read "KC." Anybody know what the KC stands for?

post-6578-0-95331600-1424377957_thumb.jp

Oh well. Seems no matter how large I post the image, the forum software shrinks it down. That is, unless I'm doing something wrong.

JDE, it is readable, yes the forum resizes, you can load the image to imgur.com and post link here, that way you can maintain the orig size.

Nice article, thanks for sharing!

I like these pop top design, I might try my hand at building one after I acquire some fiberglass laying skills,

Shibs, I think JDE & I can both offer help if you are into the pop up Chinooks.... I have a 1975 & a 1978..& JD has had many, I don't know how many, but I'm guessing that his experience with these way exceeds mine as I have only been into these for about 3 years.

I have had motorhomes since the 60's........all sizes from Vdubs to a 4104 conversion....& MANY others...I started small, went up thru the ranks & now in my older years am going back to small.....I love these little Chinooks...24mpg & just enough room & comforts for a 3 or 4 day weekend......My long runs & extended stays are behind me now...Money isn't growing on trees anymore :-)...Donnie

I would like to know who else on this board is into Chinooks..................................anyone? ............... post or PM

Shibs, I think JDE & I can both offer help if you are into the pop up Chinooks.... I have a 1975 & a 1978..& JD has had many, I don't know how many, but I'm guessing that his experience with these way exceeds mine as I have only been into these for about 3 years.

I have had motorhomes since the 60's........all sizes from Vdubs to a 4104 conversion....& MANY others...I started small, went up thru the ranks & now in my older years am going back to small.....I love these little Chinooks...24mpg & just enough room & comforts for a 3 or 4 day weekend......My long runs & extended stays are behind me now...Money isn't growing on trees anymore :-)...Donnie

I would like to know who else on this board is into Chinooks..................................anyone? ............... post or PM

I love small RVs with small engines of all makes. I've always been fascinated with them. I've been working on a database for a few years now of trying to document all the info I can on all that were offered for sale in the USA during the 60s-90s.

I will say that small RVs with pop-ups roofs interest me the most. And that means mostly Chinooks when talking about 1970s rigs. Funny thing. I was recently in contact with my old girl-friend from the 70s who I almost got married to, back in the day. She got married to another guy, then widowed, etc. Now she's in southern PA and has a Sunrader on a Toyota. She recenlty told me that back when we were a couple on northern New Jersey, her parents had a brand new Toyota Chinook and I did not even notice. I guess back then my mind was more on beer, girls, and muscle cars.