Is A Toyota The Right Answer For My Situation?

Hatch

Hello TM.org,

I am asking for opinions on whether or not this vehicle would match up with my needs:

I travel cross country twice a year (6 month seasonal job in Colorado, 3 months in florida, 3 months in Virginia)

I ride dirbikes, I own and carry two on a 250# trailer - total weight is around 700# with a tongue weight of around 150

I am young and single and don't mind a confined space, I have been doing this in a Hyundai elantra with a tow hitch

I like the idea of the higher mpg of a 4 cylinder so I don't mind the sluggishness, as long as I can make it over mountain passes towing the bikes

I am a tinkerer and very mechanically inclined so the older age of these vehicles doesn't intimidate me much

I don't make much money and these are relatively cheap compared to a lot of options

One of my bikes is street legal so once I am parked I have secondary transportation

There is a 1989 22R-E Dolphin automatic for cheap in my area that is pretty clean

The other option I am considering is financing a new eurovan (sprinter/transit/promaster) and converting it to a class B

I attached a photo of the one in question

Thanks!

post-8059-0-84702900-1418183655_thumb.jp

Edited by Hatch

When I had my Toy I pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer with a 4 cylinder. I've pulled it over 10,000ft mountain passes. So your dream is feasible. But in all honesty the MPG is going to be about the same when pulling the trailer.

Also the frame is going to need serious modification to pull the trailer safely. The trailer is going to need brakes also.

Just a warning about scammers online. The rig you posted a picture of sold on Ebay not long ago for $6600 and it was in New York, not any of the states you listed. It is also an 87 not an 89. Just guessing but was the price you saw a funny number in the 2000's. Like 2014 or 2143. Do not give anyone money unless they are standing right in front of you with the title in hand. For some reason scammers just love Toyota motorhomes. I guess because it's easier to convince Marks that they are going to ship a motorhome to them cause they are little. here's that sold motorhome

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-87-TOYOTA-DOLPHIN-21FT-MOTORHOME-CLASS-C-53K-4CY-L-K-VIDEO-AMAZING-/311133530931?pt=RVs_Campers&forcerrptr=true&hash=item487100eb33&item=311133530931&nma=true&si=yDRLzz9f%252Bfli5yhxNhdJ%252FNL%252BWvg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Linda S

Hello TM.org,

I am asking for opinions on whether or not this vehicle would match up with my needs:

I travel cross country twice a year (6 month seasonal job in Colorado, 3 months in florida, 3 months in Virginia)

I ride dirbikes, I own and carry two on a 250# trailer - total weight is around 700# with a tongue weight of around 150

I am young and single and don't mind a confined space,

A small more modern truck with a slide-on camper on the back would probably work fine for what you seem to want. Better fuel mileage, better chance of reliability, and better trailer-pulling capacity. A small gas engine pickup with a pop-up roof camper can get 18-20 MPGs. It's not the most convenient setup when travelling with a family since the RV and truck cab are separated. But for what you want - might be just right. This setup then gives you the option of removing the camper when situated in any one area for awhile. Now, if you really want a house on wheels with 14 MPGs - then a 21 foot Toyota RV might be what you want.

A Toyota Chinook pop-up roof RV also is a nice setup for one or two people and has better MPGs and towing capability then a 20-21 footer with a fixed high roof.

All made in the 70s though so finding one in nice shape might not be easy. No power steering either.

Thanks for the tip on the scam! This person has it posted all over the place, she even created a facebook account for it!

Too bad there's no accountability on the internet...

Anyhow, sounds like this may not be the truck for me, it'd be a shame to dump 15k worth of dirtbikes on the highway because of frame rail extensions...

Guess I'll get back to work on the Hyundai and put another coat of silicone on the tent!

Thanks again folks

Figured I'd update yall on the scammer

"Briana Cobey" writes:

"I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Columbus,GA. The camper is at the shipping company in Columbus, sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with eBay Motors so this deal must go through them.
According with eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the camper to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
First of all,I will need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address and ph number so I can forward them to eBay.

They will process your info and send both of us invoices. On the invoice you will find all the instructions on how to complete the transaction.
Once the payment is completed the shipping process will be started( on my cost I repeat). After you receive the camper you will have 5 days to test and verify it.

If you decide to keep the camper, eBay will release the money to me and our transaction is complete.
If, by any reason, you won't be satisfied with the camper ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.

If you agree, please provide your full name and shipping address and I will get everything started immediately.
All you will need to do is follow through with their guidelines. You will receive along with the camper all it's papers, documents and manuals.
I have a few guys interested so I'll need a prompt answer from you!
Thank you!"

:sarcasm::poster_spam::whistling::rolleyes::headbonk::poster_stupid::shifty::glare::buttwiggle::detective2:

Yep.

If you haven't been through it or shown it by someone before, it all seems very complicated, but somehow completely reasonable.

If you know better, you know that buying a used vehicle is never that complicated. And what vehicle has ever come "sealed and ready for shipping"?

Figured I'd update yall on the scammer

"Briana Cobey" writes:

"I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Columbus,GA. The camper is at the shipping company in Columbus, sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with eBay Motors so this deal must go through them.

According with eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the camper to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

Here is how it will work:

First of all,I will need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address and ph number so I can forward them to eBay.

They will process your info and send both of us invoices. On the invoice you will find all the instructions on how to complete the transaction.

Once the payment is completed the shipping process will be started( on my cost I repeat). After you receive the camper you will have 5 days to test and verify it.

If you decide to keep the camper, eBay will release the money to me and our transaction is complete.

If, by any reason, you won't be satisfied with the camper ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.

If you agree, please provide your full name and shipping address and I will get everything started immediately.

All you will need to do is follow through with their guidelines. You will receive along with the camper all it's papers, documents and manuals.

I have a few guys interested so I'll need a prompt answer from you!

Thank you!"

:sarcasm::poster_spam::whistling::rolleyes::headbonk::poster_stupid::shifty::glare::buttwiggle::detective2:

This may sound a bit too simplistic, but has anyone ever reported this "Briana Cobey" et al other scammers to eBay?

Especially since there seems to be so many copycat illegal transactions occurring right on eBay's very own website AND using eBay directly in their scams; with language such as "eBay Motors will send you this contract if you send me your info...and all you need to do is follow 'their' guidelines...etc". I seems to me that eBay's attorneys would want to be all over this.

~Riverman77

This may sound a bit too simplistic, but has anyone ever reported this "Briana Cobey" et al other scammers to eBay?

Especially since there seems to be so many copycat illegal transactions occurring right on eBay's very own website AND using eBay directly in their scams; with language such as "eBay Motors will send you this contract if you send me your info...and all you need to do is follow 'their' guidelines...etc". I seems to me that eBay's attorneys would want to be all over this.

~Riverman77

The RV is for sale on craigslist not eBay. EBay knows nothing about it and prosecuting someone who isn't actually in the USA is close to impossible. Fake websites are created that look very close to large trusted sites like eBay to fool the buyer into thinking they are safe. Anyone could call eBay and they would find out that they do not ship vehicles and that this is a fraud. Unfortunately people are so intent on getting this great deal they lose their good judgment. Craigslist has large warnings about just this situation on their website. Too bad people don't read them.

Con artists have been around forever and the internet just gave them a bigger pond to fish in. Yes they have been reported to law enforcement and craigslist and I've seen news shows about nice people getting robbed from these same kind of ads. Only thing that will stop it is smart buyers and notifying our members of possible fraud is something that gets done often here and the toyota-campers group. I know for a fact that we have saved quite a few buyers from making this mistake

Linda

The RV is for sale on craigslist not eBay. EBay knows nothing about it and prosecuting someone who isn't actually in the USA is close to impossible. Fake websites are created that look very close to large trusted sites like eBay to fool the buyer into thinking they are safe. Anyone could call eBay and they would find out that they do not ship vehicles and that this is a fraud. Unfortunately people are so intent on getting this great deal they lose their good judgment. Craigslist has large warnings about just this situation on their website. Too bad people don't read them.

Con artists have been around forever and the internet just gave them a bigger pond to fish in. Yes they have been reported to law enforcement and craigslist and I've seen news shows about nice people getting robbed from these same kind of ads. Only thing that will stop it is smart buyers and notifying our members of possible fraud is something that gets done often here and the toyota-campers group. I know for a fact that we have saved quite a few buyers from making this mistake

Linda

Linda,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have read of this scam, from time to time, in other postings right here on this website. I'm sure that there are folks who post on the Toyota-campers group that offer warnings of these same scams as well. If this problem of fake eBay/Craigslist for sale listings (especially crooks from other countries) continues to grow, perhaps you may consider permanently 'pinning' a topic to the top of the "General Discussion" page called "Scammer's: Buyer's Be Aware!".

Thanks again for helping to keep us innocent folks aware of these crooked dealings out there.

~Riverman77

Edited by Riverman77

Actually, I thought we already did. Do I have a false memory or has it disappeared?

Derek,

I just did a search using the word "scam" in General Discussion. I did come back with a whole bunch of results. What I was suggesting was permanently "Pining" a warning at the top under General Discussion. But, on the other hand, our main mission on this great website is for much more positive sharing of ideas and not giving a huge amount of spotlight upon those crooked scammer's. I was merely expressing some momentary anger and concern about crooks.

~Riverman77

Edited by Riverman77

Fixed. i.e. Repinned. :)

Wow! You folks are way too cool!

This reminds me of a 'Top 40 Radio Station'....Are you taking anymore requests? :-)

~Riverman77