Bikes On The Back

YoungSage

I have an 88 sunrader classic 21 foot, "King Sunny". I am looking into bike racks that will attach to the rear hitch receiver. Has anyone heard of driving problems resulting from putting more weight hanging off the back of a toyota motorhome? Extra weight back there levering up the front wheels and making for squirmy driving?

I am planning on loading the rack with two bikes, one a 27 lb mountain bike and the other, an electrified Xtracycle that weighs in around 50 lbs with the weighty motor attached. .. So that's about 80 extra pounds plus the 20 lb bike rack. .. Making it an even 100.

Thoughts for me and "The King"?

Between our spare tire, two bikes, an over-the-spare-tire bike rack, some leveling blocks and a couple of lawn chairs, We carry about 120 lbs on the back of our 21 foot 85 Dolphin. We have never noticed any change since adding this stuff. It drives and handles the same. We did have our leaf springs re-arched and one new spring added to each side. That made a huge difference over all in the way it rides and handles. But adding the weight (which we did after the springs were redone) hasn't been a problem.

Of course, we look a little like the Beverly Hillbillies driving down the road!

Joe

My experience is that during a turn, the weight aft of the rear wheels tends to make the Toyota want to continue turning.

She is a little more resistant to resuming a straight run.

i have routinely carried 2 80 lbs electric scooters, and a kid carrier/stroller many times totalling 190 lbs. Broke the welds on my bumper once... i re-welded them. no issues since.

Sounds good team. Thanks for all the info. I will proceed with my rack project as planned. Love this forum and all the great info and enthused individuals here. A great resource. Mucho Namastes and Hoka Heys!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any resource that shows what is the maximum allowable tongue weight for the receiver hitch? I would like to put a cargo carrier on the back (using the receiver hitch) to mount a portable generator. Total project weight should be about 150 - 160 lbs. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on this project for fear that I might overload the hitch or put too much weight on the rear of my rig. Anybody have any thoughts? (I have an '84 Dolphin.)

I think nearly all of our hitch receivers have been installed aftermarket. So I think there is no "one" rated tongue weight. It depends how the receiver is attached (bolted, welded, both, etc) and to what it has been attached. If you have a hitch shop in your area, you might stop by and have the installer look at your receiver installation and give you an estimate of acceptable tongue weight.