Planned Obsolescence?? (Not A Toyota, But Asian)

zero

My gas tank started leaking in my 2001 Chevy Tracker. I'm pretty much amazed that I cannot seem to buy a new gas tank anywhere. Not from GM, not from Suzuki (who made it), and not aftermarket. This is the newest vehicle my family owns. I can buy a brand new tank for my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser from many places cheap, but not for this 2001 Tracker?

To make it even worse -I got searching for used tanks and found out it's illegal to ship a used gas tank. So - being here in northern Michigan - I'm limited to buying some rusty tank that is within driving distance.

So I can buy a brand new gas tank for my 1918 Ford Model T (for $150) or a new tank for my 1988 Toyota (for $120) but nothing for this "modern" 2001 Chevy/Suzuki Tracker. Weird. This Tracker has a 2.5 V6, 4WD and it's a four door that I guess, makes it "special."

Also found out there are many parts on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD that are also not available OEM or aftermarket. I cannot even buy a rear driveshaft support for it!

So I guess we "vintage" Toyota owners have it pretty good when it comes to parts availability.

Maybe you can find a place that does radiator and fuel tank repair. My 85 Dolphin has a supplemental fuel tank which developed a leak just after I bought it last year. Faced with a similar issue about finding a suitable replacement (my mechanic couldn't fine anything affordable that would fit) they opted to have a radiator place in town repair the existing tank. The leak was at a seam. The metal in the tank itself was still sound. They split the tank open (it's a clamshell sort of thing) resealed the seam all the way around, then recoated and resealed the entire tank inside and out. It wound up being less expensive than buying a new tank and having them retrofit it. So far, I've had no problems with it.

By the way, the original Toyota tank is still fine (just really small at 14.5 gallons). They pulled and inspected that while they were doing all the work on the other tank which is 20 gallons. They also replaced the fuel pump, the tank fill tube (on the supplemental tank) and several fuel lines while they were at it. The whole shebang cost me $1200.

Joe

Maybe you can find a place that does radiator and fuel tank repair. My 85 Dolphin has a supplemental fuel tank which developed a leak just after I bought it last year. Faced with a similar issue about finding a suitable replacement (my mechanic couldn't fine anything affordable that would fit) they opted to have a radiator place in town repair the existing tank. The leak was at a seam. The metal in the tank itself was still sound. They split the tank open (it's a clamshell sort of thing) resealed the seam all the way around, then recoated and resealed the entire tank inside and out. It wound up being less expensive than buying a new tank and having them retrofit it. So far, I've had no problems with it.

By the way, the original Toyota tank is still fine (just really small at 14.5 gallons). They pulled and inspected that while they were doing all the work on the other tank which is 20 gallons. They also replaced the fuel pump, the tank fill tube (on the supplemental tank) and several fuel lines while they were at it. The whole shebang cost me $1200.

Joe

I pulled the tanks out of my 1978 Chinook and my 1988 Minicruiser. Both to fix the gas-gauge senders. With both the most miserable part of the job was getting the tank mounting bolts out. VERY poor design from Toyota. And - you don't dare use a torch on them that close to gas fumes. One one - a standard wrench socket would not even grip the bolt-heads anymore . I finally used a grinder and drill to get some out. Both tanks were still fine. Brand new fuel pumps were $30 each. I installed as "insurance." With the fuel senders - fixed both myself by rewiring them. I can get new senders made for 1995 Geo Trackers that will work and fit correctly for $50 each.

As to fixing gas tanks? I used to work in a tank and radiator shop in the 60s. Back when fixing such things was more common. We used to pour brake fluid into gas tanks to neutralize the fumes if we had to weld or solder them. Now? I've done pretty well just cleaning tanks and fixing leaks with epoxy. Seems that's what I'm going to have to do with this Tracker. I'd prefer new if available and cheap - but I guess not.

I don't know what's the reason to replace, but ...

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit_p_62.html

http://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits.html

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Or maybe this is just a rant about planned obsolescence?

I seem to recall that manufacturers are only legally required to supply spare parts for 7 years after the end of production. After that, it's all up to 'supply & demand'.

Try car-part.com. I see a few gas tanks that might not be too far from you.

Linda S

Car-part.com was the first place I tried. I found several tanks listed. Can't get them though. Most places I called no longer have them. One place did but told me they cannot legally ship a used gas tank. True or not, I guess it doesn't matter. I wound up speaking to people at three different places and all said they cannot ship a used gas tank. Only new ones.

car-part is a nightmare. It gets you cold calling yards. I find a nice road trip to a MAJOR yard in a large liberal city to be a better option. the yard will usually have you pick it setup. its a pain but cheaper than shipping and you can always find it better than they can.