We left late afternoon Friday for our autumn leaves tour of Northern PA in the 86 Dolphin. Stopped for fuel and food after a couple hours of driving. It wouldn't take any gas, gas was on the ground. Now this had happened once before,returning from a trip to Ohio. We barely had enough fuel to make it home.

So the son and I are discussing it over our McNuggets. Why did this only happen twice out of a dozen trips in the Dolphin? We figured out that I usually fuel up first thing in the morning. I think the lack of fuel tank venting is creating a vacuum and collapsing the fuel filler hose. I noticed a suspicious deformation of the hose near the fuel tank when I was under there trying to straighten out the vent line.

Dang, it's going to take a while to get to Florida if I have to sit overnight for every tank of gas! Might be time for a trip to the pros. I don't know whether to keep playing with that vent line or attack the charcoal canister. I read about someone installing a bleeder.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but keep in mind that each pump can vary too. So if you have a problem, it can show up more at one pump then it might at another. The "hit and miss" thing might be a variation in the pumps.

I had on going vent line problems, finally I took a roll of 1/2" copper tubing and made most of the vent line out of that, with just 6" or so of rubber hose at each end.

The copper tubing won't sag and the soft stuff can be bent where needed.

Something is causing the fuel filler line to fill up with gas after I drive for a while. Coming home I got to try it again. We stopped at McDonalds and when we left I took the gas cap off. Then drove up a hill to the Flying J. I figured that had to clear the filler hose and sure enough, it took gas. I've already taken the charcoal canister off, it all seems clear. Maybe the valve.