Toyota U2...ready For Camper Car Mods

The Toyota U^2, If they ever start making this thing it will be all ready to go for micro camper modifications. No need to cut the roof and the rear open, the opening is already there. Built in loading ramp for toys...its there as well. The installation for your wifi tablet is already in there too.

http://www.designboom.com/technology/toyota-urban-utility-u2-maker-faire-09-10-2014/

Very neat! Only has a driver seat just like my Toy!

Dana

It is configurable with up to 4 seats. Reminds me of my Honda Element except for my whole rear roof does not open and my tail gate does not drop all the way to the ground. I use the Element as a camping car and as a mini cargo van too plus I can fit my recumbent trike inside of it. It would be a lot nicer to be able to wheel the trike in rather than lift it up.

It is pretty cool the only problem it has to sneak up on a mirror

Ugly is considered beautiful in utility vehicles ;)

The younger generation in Japan and other countries has grown up designing and making paper models with fractal like surfaces using free 3D design programs such as Pepakura. Cars and other vehicles are one of the objects they design as their own toys when young. The U^2 vehicle is directly targeting the market segment of that younger generation by adding the look of foldable planar surfaces. We will likely be seeing more of this look on the newer generations of sport utility vehicles. Or at least on the concept cars. Who knows what will actually make it off the production floor once the "suits" get their hands on it.

Many concept cars get designed by students studying to be automotive designers. The automotive industry funds these school programs and provide scholarships to them. I had a lot of fun touring the transportation design studio at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA, it is often considered the best program in the USA. If you are going to be in that area you might be able to arrange to visit the studio. I visited with an alumni of the college. http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/programs/undergraduate/transportation_design.jsp

Yeah I hear you when they built the Scion Xb they thought the kids would be buying it but the audience was much older!