Quick Removal Knock-Down Connector

I noticed a quick knock down connector that would be handy for a variety of modifications in a motorhome. Depending on the size you order you can use it to mount shelf brackets on a wall. Or with the larger ones you can hang rails across the width of the RV to support a bunk bed or an upper cab bed extension. They sell this item at Rockler and at Lee Valley. If you are going to do a bed rail across be sure the structure behind the wall or the face of a cabinet where you mount the bracket can support that much weight and is made of a material that is dense enough to hold the screws without them stripping under the stress.

the line drawing on the right appears to have been posted upside down :usd:

00s1302s2.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/taper-connectors-choose-size

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40351&cat=3,41306,41319&ap=1

• 3 weeks later...

The line drawing appears to show the attachment of legs to a pedestal-style tea table, generally with three legs. Traditionally this was done with a dovetail on the leg, cut into the pedestal.

The line drawing appears to show the attachment of legs to a pedestal-style tea table, generally with three legs. Traditionally this was done with a dovetail on the leg, cut into the pedestal.

Wood dovetails on a round table leg of that small of a diameter would not seem very suitable to use for a knock down piece. There would be an issue with the potential for swelling from moisture binding up the dovetail and the issue of fracturing the wood while trying to pull the join loose. Typically the historic campaign furniture knock down pieces such as a three legged, lightweight table had screw in legs. I have never seen any photographs of it being done with a wood dovetail in knock down furniture. But maybe those pieces simply did not survive due to the fragility of them.

Tea tables were not generally "knock down", being small and not heavily loaded. I think Lee Valley is offering a simple solution to a fairly complicated joinery project; a "quick and dirty" solution for the hobbyist woodworker who is their bread and butter. There are numerous surviving tables with the dovetail attached legs perhaps just not in your experience.

Actually I was thinking a couple of these on the wall and a fold down leg would make a stable table. A set outside would make an easy table for a small BBQ.

Actually I was thinking a couple of these on the wall and a fold down leg would make a stable table. A set outside would make an easy table for a small BBQ.

Not a bad idea for outside as they will not trap water since the bottom edge is open.

But you would want to mount them to a hinged strip that creates the back edge of the table. Otherwise you would have a difficult time leveling the table since it is rare to have level ground at camp sites.