Roof Vent Hinge Problem

Zarleno

I recently bought a 1991 Itasca Spirit. The previous owner had recently replaced the front roof vent cover, but it seemed to be stuck shut. After a little puttering around, I'm thinking that the problem is that the hinge mechanism of the vent cover isn't compatible, and that the leading edge on the cover tube butts against the support of the rod before the hatch can lift. Forcing it open pops the hinge apart.

Do I need a different cover, an entire vent assembly, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

post-7886-0-20075300-1409588430_thumb.jp

You might try spraying some Teflon lube (Tri-Flow) on all the moving parts.

The hinge does get stiff and stuck, after a while.

In the worst case, you may need to take the hinge into your local RV store, match it up & replace it.

~Riverman77

P.S. I took a better look at your photo.

In the worst-worst case you may need to replace your whole hatch assembly.

Yes, it's a little more work but, not the end of the world.

Edited by Riverman77

looks like it is not the original roof vent. I think if you find a winnie dealer they will want to sell you the winnie part - which is about $50 but it fits. As i recall, if you are tempted to use one of the replacement versions you will find it does not exactly fit - sort of like what your photo implies

Thanks! It appears that the cover is #055218-01-000 (page 101). If it costs in the neighborhood of $50, then I may just as well off replacing the entire assembly. It looks like Camping World has a generic 14x14 unit for $45. Though there would be a little more work involved (scraping, sealing, caulking, etc.), would I be better off with something that has more widely available replacement parts in case of future damage, or should I just order a Winnebago lid?

I don't own a Winnebago rig but I have always heard that the roof vents were exclusive to Winnebago and other brands won't fit unless you cut the corners out on the roof. probably why the replacement cover didn't fit properly. Maybe an Itasca or Winnebago owner can confirm this.

Linda S

I would just go with the winnie product. I would order it from someone who would take it back if it does not fit - which might happen if the vent assembly has already been modified. My thinking is that they will last a long time as stock so why get into a modification that is really a good chance to introduce a leak.

Note that you cannot drive around with those vents open unless you have a vent hood installed. I highly recommend a vent hood - stops almost all rain from getting in & allows driving with vent in any position.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/31-1919.htm

Thanks, Dan, Linda, and River. I bit the bullet and ordered a new stock Winnebago vent lid (now $63), and some vent cover hoods. I'm putting a MaxxAir on the front and a larger Fan-Tastic Ultrabreeze on the rear to accommodate the high-speed fan in the bathroom roof vent. We live in the Pacific Northwet, where it is drizzling at this very moment, and I'm not very good at remembering to close the vents nor do I often want to. Vent cover hoods look like a great idea!

The lid and vent hoods should arrive early next week. I'll post a few photos after I install it all (or perhaps just some pathetic whining if it doesn't turn out well). Judging from the installation videos, it just takes a few minutes with a drill, pencil, screwdriver, wrench, and a little caulking, and the only real challenge is to avoid falling off the roof while performing the post-installation victory dance.

If your replacing the whole unit you need butyl tape to install onto roof. Much better than any kind of caulk. Clean surface of roof really good before you lay the tape down too. Not really like a tape. Like plumbers putty but stickier and longer lasting

Linda S

I would look hard at the butyl tape and lap sealing.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/butyl-tape-3-4-x30/39160

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dicor-self-leveling-lap-sealant-white/32125

the laps sealant (numerous producers) is what is used on the top of Winnebago warrior around things like the sewer stack vents & all those horizontal surfaces. It should work good around the top of your air vents. That is what I used on my 93 W warrior when I replaced the sewer vent stacks

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the front roof vent lid with the official Winnebago part, which is not cheap, but it actually fits.

I put the MaxxAir vent hood on the front vent. It went on without incident. It is held in place by some aluminum brackets that have to be bolted into newly drilled holes in the sides of the vent frame. The hood is then bolted to the brackets. It really doesn't take long, just as the manufacturer's video shows.

I used a Fan-Tastic UltraBreeze hood on the rear vent over the bathroom. The previous owner had installed a new Fan-Tastic roof vent with a high speed fan and I found that some folks say that one really needs this slightly larger hood in order to open the vent a little higher and provide better air flow. The UltraBreeze took a little more time and trouble, in that one must scrape the caulking putty off four of the screws in the vent frame, squirt a little lap sealant in the holes, and then screw on the four brackets using those holes, with a little more lap sealant after that on the screw heads, etc. After that, the hood sits on pins on the ends of the brackets and attaches with a spring cotter pin. Again, not difficult, but a little scraping and caulking is required.

The only mishap was that I managed to crack off part of the little roller/washer that fits in the stock Winnebago lid track and raises and lowers the lid. Since the roller is now flat on one side, it does not work as well as one would hope. I suppose some day I will drill out the rivet and attach a new washer/roller unless there is a better solution.

Photos to follow.

Here is the MaxxAir on the front, then the rear vent with the putty scraped, then with the new brackets, then with the hood.

I had been wondering if this would add drag, but I already have a rooftop air conditioner and these are in a line with it, so I don't think it will be any worse. Perhaps the curved leading edge of the MaxxAir will lessen the resistance created by the more boxy A/C unit a few feet behind it.

post-7886-0-98236000-1410751820_thumb.jp

post-7886-0-25911800-1410751836_thumb.jp

post-7886-0-80717200-1410751845_thumb.jp

post-7886-0-35774900-1410751858_thumb.jp

I used Dicor lap seal. I'm not exactly sure what the previous owner used when he installed the vent fan and revealed the roof, but I assume it was an appropriate product. It was a little gummy in the sun when I scraped some off to install the brackets.