No Tach, Whats My Rpm?

jurob

There are plenty of online calculators;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Rpm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=KbvbU-PVGOXY8gex0YHIAg#channel=rcs&q=Rpm+calculator&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

All you need to do is input your tire info (I'd look on Tirerack.com) and gear ratios (I'd look in the FSM).

50MPH in 2nd? Screaming! 5500RPM?

I came up with 3900

4.10 rear, 25.6" tire, 1.45 2nd gear and 50 mph.

Traveling in the mountains as speed starts plummeting to 50 in 3rd as you approach a long steep steep incline I drop to 2nd and was mostly able to hold 50 mph except one hill it dropped to 45 in 2nd.

I'm very impressed with this Toyota!

3900-4k is ok? Doesn't overheat or burn oil.

65 or so when its relatively flat. Most inclines drop it to below 60 and the long ones below 50. Getting 12 mpg with frequent downshifts to 3rd and occasional 2nd gear though Va and west Va.

Can't wait till I'm out if the mountains. I get 17 mph at 55 on flat ground. Hoping for at least 15.

The red line on a 22r is 5750. Most engines are happy to run at 75% of redline. That works out to about 4300 rpm. So 3900 should be no problem.

22re automatic with 185r14 tires.

50 mph in second gear.

Any education estimates?

You have to factor in torque-converter slippage that can be up to 15%. A guess on a moderate incline with an A43D in 2nd gear @ 50 MPH would be 7300 RPM. That is with just 10% slippage. Too fast. Even if your engine could sustain it - it's way past it's peak torque curve and wastes a lot of fuel that way.

I'm hoping that the 7300 RPM was a 'slip of the finger'. If I add ~15% to ~4000 RPM I get ~4600 RPM.

Not a "slip of the finger." Computer software glitch maybe. 2nd gear is a 2.45 to ratio. Add 10% that's a 2.6 to 1 ratio. Rear is 4.1 to 1 ratio. Tire diameter of 25.5"

I'll have to do the math by hand and see what happens.

post-6578-0-44323300-1406934389_thumb.jp

I just picked up a tach for $50. There is a tach signal wire coming off your coil to a green connector that has no wire leading out of it... Hook the green wire from the aftermarket tach into this plug, connect power and ground, and you will know for sure.

I don't know what type of tach you have - but the $13 analog tach I just put into my 1988 Minicruiser with the 22RE did not need a tach signal wire. Just hooks to an ignition primary terminal just like in old days when ignition points were used.