Sunrader Screen Door Option

Found a good option for a retractable screen door for my Sunrader. It is a pull down screen, modern style with no cords to hassle with, you just lift up or push down on the handle. Works very smoothly.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_423156-78360-NV100032672_4294858072__?productId=3830439&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

1st thing to note when looking at your door is the inside frame has a Z shape to it that has a step that is 3/4" inch deep and about 1/2" or so wide too. You can take advantage of that step to create an extended wood frame out of 3/4" thick x 3" or so wide wood. The frame needs to be deep enough for the screen to clear the door lock mechanism.

The screen I am looking at is sold at Lowes and other places. The standard width is 26" but it can be ordered in custom width sizes. The height is 72 inches which will work but the length of the side guide pieces can also be trimmed.

I have a bad back so don't want to bend down from the inside to open and close it so I am going to create an assist stick with a couple of cleats at the bottom that will grab onto the handle. A bit of velcro on the stick and frame will keep it handy. From the outside there is no problem since I don't have to bend so far.

I thought about using a side opening screen door but the top down version takes up a lot less room in the entry way. Also while you don't see the option on the Lowes website it is available in two types of screen materials. One version is easy to see through but the other version is for controlling solar heat. I want the heat control version, that is more important to me than the view outside. See this company website for specifics on screen types and sizing. http://www.larsondoors.com/retractable_screens/naturevue/

I think that's a neat idea. A roll up screen door.. Unfortunately I haven't the headroom in my Chinook, but I'm going to fashion a frame from 1/2" x 1" aluminum bar stock & attach it to my entrance door with off set hinges.. A bit more work, but I would like to have a screen door & that is the only way that I will be able to get one.. It will be able to swing on the main door like the big units do...

It's nice of you to post that as I'm sure that I am not the only one that never saw one......Donnie