Prior to the upcoming cross country trip, I decided to change the plugs in the Warrior we bought last month. The first three I got out were ancient Autolites and the electrodes were practically gone. The next were NGK in fair shape, broke two boots getting them off so I put on a new set. First test fire, and wow! It sounds like a whole different engine! Put new belts on up front for good measure and testing the spin on the unloaded components and I think we're good to go. My only remaining concern is that after a 600 mile break in trip, the radiator fluid was quite rusty. I drained and flushed, assuming that this would be the norm for a unit that sat for a while.

When I bought my Warrior, the rotor was worn down and the distributor cap showed burns where arcing was occurring. Pop the distributor cap and take a quick look.

Derek up North

Did you change the air filter? The filter box on the V6 is a favorite nesting spot for mice.

I put a piece of plastic screening between the botton airbox intake mount and the protruding tube of the air intake scoop, it's worked ok so far.

I've no idea what 'hardware cloth' is. But I agree that mice aren't going to be stopped (for long) by plastic.

EDIT:

Ah, that 'hardware cloth'! Can't say I've ever heard it called that before. Looks like 1/2" opening.

http://www.lowes.ca/farm-fencing/blue-hawk-24-in-x-25-ft-silver-galvanized-steel-hardware-cloth_g1191018.html

Yes, the mice will chew thru plastic screen.. go to your local hardware..get 1/4 inch mesh.. They sell it by the foot...Mice will get in any air snorkel that is available..Donnie..

I did a plug & wires replacement and all the adjustments that go with an old fashioned tune-up. The difference was impressive.

The ground connection from the engine battery (screw into the fender well 18" from the battery) was bad - correcting this was easy and avoided big trouble.

Battery cable connections needed cleaning.

I had all the fluids changed at a Jiffy Lu** that I like in Carson City. They flushed the radiatior as it was gunky as described by the original poster. We completed a trip to and from Nashville, then brought it in again for another flush. They did it at no additional cost.

The point is... do the maintenance.

Yes, the mice will chew thru plastic screen.. go to your local hardware..get 1/4 inch mesh.. They sell it by the foot...Mice will get in any air snorkel that is available..Donnie..

Yes - mice, mud daubers, etc. Here's what my diesel Chevy looked like after mice crawled into the air-cleaner housing and built a large nest. I had just driven it 120 miles that way. Ran OK but hot. Fuel mileage with the 379 cubic inch diesel was usually 21 MPG. This trip I got 9 MPG and I thought at first my fuel tank was leaking. Then my little boy helped discover the problem. He stuck his arm up the tailpipe and it came out black with soot. That alerted me to a possible plugged air-cleaner. Pulled the top off and WHAT a mess. 6 mice were sitting there looking at me.

post-6578-0-19003800-1405689836_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35787800-1405689837_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-94002300-1405689837_thumb.jp

Insects will pass thru the 1/4" mesh. So far it's been several years and nothing had attacked the screening. I made it cone shaped so I don't think it's that much restriction, not a big V-8.

Funny story. When I bought the Aerostar from the company that I worked for I had a tune-up done, cause they refused to tune it up as long as it passed smog. Turns out the wires were bad, rotor&cap toasted, plugs looked terrible and one of the plugs was missing the side electrode. I joked with the mechanic that it would now get better mileage and he said "no but you will save the catalytic converters which are expensive".

Suprise, suprise, it didn't run any better and he was right the gas mileage didn't change any.

• 2 weeks later...

3500 miles later.., we are good! Rusty fluid, but it seems to be getting better as we drive. Tackled several passes over 5000' no sweat. Maxed out at 70 mph average with a nice tailwind at 16 mph. No temp problems. Still makes beeping noises at idle when hot, I think water pump, but the temp control is fine.

When I got the Ford the PO had filled the radiator with water and it was rusty, it took me several flushes to get it all out.

"The ground connection from the engine battery (screw into the fender well 18" from the battery) was bad - correcting this was easy and avoided big trouble." That alone could have improved things considerably (sorry no spell check) :)

I have more of an insect problem here than mice, how about if I replace the plastic screen with stainless steel. Will that be OK for rodents as well ???