Pump Switch Kills Battery

canman47

This rig is pretty new to me but I've had several dead coach battery incidents. After putting an ammeter in series I found out that the pump switch has a 4.5 amp draw when turned on. That's without the pump on. The new Revolution pump draws 10 amps by itself but I don't see why that switch would draw that much with nothing running. That little red light doesn't draw that much does it? My battery gets pretty low in about an hour. I'm dealing with it by turning the switch off unless I need water but that's inconvenient.

I never leave my water pump switch on. If I'm out hiking or boating and something breaks my camper would get flooded. I think yours does seem to be using too much power but I don't think turning it off is inconvenient.

Linda S

I also have an old Apollo MH and I usually leave the pump switch on for the duration of the trip and have never killed the battery. It uses no power when the pump isn't running. If I'm cooking and washing dishes I don't think I should have to turn it off and on every time I open a tap.

I have left mine on for a week camping without any trouble never had battery problem . I think you have a very large draw from somewhere. I think you have a short somewhere or dirty corrosion resistance somewhere. If you can't find it, run new wires to pump from power center.

The Revolution recirculating pump has an adjuster screw that can be turned in far enough to make it draw power all the time.

canman47

I was checkimg out the isolator, connections, voltage drops and I checked water pump and lamp draw. My water pump draws 2.5 Amps steady and the lamp in the switch draws 12 milliamps.

vanman

Hmm, My lamp is drawing 4.5 amps so something is wrong. I know about the pump recirculating but wouldn't I hear that? Seems like the wire from switch to pump. The wiring is in the shower wall so pretty hard to get to that.

Hmm, My lamp is drawing 4.5 amps so something is wrong. I know about the pump recirculating but wouldn't I hear that? Seems like the wire from switch to pump. The wiring is in the shower wall so pretty hard to get to that.

4.5 amps is going to be 50 watts worth of heat somewhere - unless it's making light or making a motor move. Something ought to be warm. But yes if the pump was actually turning you'd hear it. If drawing power and not turning - it would get warm.