Lights Out.

whyverne14

Dang, just got the alternator fixed. So I went out as it was getting dark and I was going to check the lights. I knew I had a couple of clearance lights not working. Well now none of the clearance lights are working and also none of the driver's side tail lights. Dang and double dang.

I remember Linda saying that the rear passenger side was where it's all going on for the outside lights. I looked under there and saw dangling wires that I hadn't noticed before. Three white wires twisted together and two greens and a black twisted together. As I'm sitting here thinking about it, I'm wondering if someone had those two twists stuck in a big ol' wire nut and the nut fell off.

Do you think think that could be it? I'm going to try putting them together in the morning. If they don't belong together, will that hurt anything? I checked all the fuses and bulbs. I hope it's that easy. Thanks for any advice.

Rear passenger side is for a Sunrader. I have no idea about a Dolphin. Wires underneath can be just old holding tank monitor wires. Best to test with multimeter before trying to connect with anything. See if any current when you turn the tail lights on.

Linda S

I would not wrap them all together. They are probably the ground wires, and two other circuits. On my unit, the white wires are negative and the green, red, and black are positive. The different color positives just make it easier to track your circuits. If you hook them all together, you should blow every fuse associated with those circuits.

Thanks again everybody. The Dolphin is the same as the Sunrader, all the outside lights branch out from passenger side rear. Last night I actually had every light lit for the first time since I got the rig. None of the outages was caused by a burnt out bulb. None. Just because wires are connected, doesn't mean they are "connected".

. " Just because wires are connected, doesn't mean they are "connected". Truer words were never spoken!

91 Toyota Winnebago Warrior. I have had an intermittent problem with my clearance lights (both front and rear) - sometimes working fine, and sometimes all of them go out. All the other exterior lights worked fine. I checked all fuses and no problem. I figured there had to be a common wire that supplied both, but had no idea where this common wire would be located. Finally, I found this information that basically indicated that the external lights were supplied by a wire from the engine battery that ran to the rear of the coach. From there most of the main wiring went to the left rear light assembly, then branched out to other lights. What I found was that the wiring to both sets of clearance lights came from the rear driver's side clearance light (located on the side of the coach in the rear above the sewer drains). I "wiggled" that light fixture and all the clearance lights came on. I will eventually go in and make better connections, but for now, I have a temporary means to get the lights on again.

I do not know if all manufacturers use similar wiring procedures, but this wiring diagram may be of assistance to some people out there dealing with similar problems that I have encountered. I know this was found on a 1992 model, but it looked to be spot on for my 1991 unit. Best wishes..

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1992/105970.pdf

The connections on old cheap clearance lights were nothing more than friction fit you push the wire through and hope it works. RV lighting in general except for the most modern stuff is really poor to say the least.