Another Australian Dually Hilux Diesel 1988 4Wd

zero

This one has an interesting rear-end. Looks like a full-floater but not like anything I've seen in the USA. I've love to see a parts breakdown of it.

post-6578-0-39780100-1402336911_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-91104700-1402336919_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42645400-1402336935_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-61842800-1402336944_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41863400-1402336958_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-51257100-1402336967_thumb.jp

Do you have the full link to that truck? It looks like they swapped in the newer 3.0L 1KZ-T engine. I think that full floater might be a half-ton axle converted to a 1 ton with an aftermarket kit.

Do you have the full link to that truck? It looks like they swapped in the newer 3.0L 1KZ-T engine. I think that full floater might be a half-ton axle converted to a 1 ton with an aftermarket kit.

Not like any full-floater kit I've seen. The kits I've seen use the front hubs off a 4WD and stick them on the back. The result is protruding axle hubs similar to the FF rears more common in Toyota 1 ton duallies. The one in the Australian rig has a bearing cap but not protruding. I've seen that setup in photos of other "over-seas" trucks but do not know its origin. As to the engine? I don't have any good views of it other then what I posted. The 3L diesel was available OEM in 1988 Hilux trucks so I'm assuming that's what it is. Can't say I ever saw one up close.

I'll have to search around for that link. If I find it again - I'll post the URL. I think the 3L engine was around since the late 70s and 1988 was the last year they were made.

The 3L is a 2.8 L (2,779 cc) 4-cylinder diesel engine. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 96 mm, with a compression ratio of 22.2 : 1. Output is 91 hp (68 kW) at 4,000 rpm with 19.2 kg·m (188 N·m) of torque at 2,400 rpm.

I still think it's a half ton axle converted to a full floater. You can't see the protrusion because they used a spacer to adapt the half ton axle to the 5 lug dually rims. They just used a bearing cap instead of the manual 4wd freewheel hubs.

That's definitely a 1KZ-T or TE and not a 3L. I can tell by the timing belt cover. It's the same engine I have in my truck. The 3L wasn't available until the late 80's as far as I know. Before that it was the 2L or 2L-T. The 1KZ came about in the mid-90's. HP was 125-130.

I still think it's a half ton axle converted to a full floater. You can't see the protrusion because they used a spacer to adapt the half ton axle to the 5 lug dually rims. They just used a bearing cap instead of the manual 4wd freewheel hubs.

That's definitely a 1KZ-T or TE and not a 3L. I can tell by the timing belt cover. It's the same engine I have in my truck. The 3L wasn't available until the late 80's as far as I know. Before that it was the 2L or 2L-T. The 1KZ came about in the mid-90's. HP was 125-130.

3L came out in 1977.

I don't know what the axle is - but all even the 1 ton dually full-floaters like used in the Toyota RVs here in the US are what you could call "converted" 1/2 ton axles. Same center-section and axle-tubes. Just have added bearing-extensions at the ends. And yes - I know the tubes on a FF are bigger OD then the older 1/2 ton trucks - but later 2WDs also got the bigger tubes.

I still think it's a half ton axle converted to a full floater.

Looks like you are correct. This conversion photo looks similar other then the disc setup.

post-6578-0-47526000-1402757009_thumb.jp

The L series engine came out in 77 but the 3L wasn't available until the late 80's. They start showing up in Australia on 1988 and later Hilux and Surf

Linda S

You may be 100% correct. I've never seen one in real life from any year. I saw one source that claimed 3Ls were make 1977-1988, and another that says 1991-1997. I have no first-hand knowledge with them. Wish I did. Look a little better then the enemic diesels they marketed in the USA.

I did one gas to diesel swap using a 3L, I put it into an 87 4wd pickup. It's definitely newer tech than the 1L or early 2L-T's that were available in North America, mainly different in the cylinder head design. Can't really speak to its power potential though, as its only used as a farm truck and barely ever comes out of 1st or reverse.

I did one gas to diesel swap using a 3L, I put it into an 87 4wd pickup. It's definitely newer tech than the 1L or early 2L-T's that were available in North America, mainly different in the cylinder head design. Can't really speak to its power potential though, as its only used as a farm truck and barely ever comes out of 1st or reverse.

No diesel is going to have the power of a gas engine if bore, stroke, and aspiration is the same. The fuel cost savings was the nice advantage until diesel cost got way higher then gas. I still have around 20 old diesels here but I'm slowly going back to gasoline. But . . . the Federal government is now talking about making low-sulfur gasoline - like they did with diesel. If so - maybe gas prices will be right back up with diesel and I'll feel better (or worse).

I still have - a 1985 Isuzu 4WD 2.2 diesel mini-pickup, two 1991 Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 diesels, a 1985 Chevy Chevette 1.8 diesel (Isuzu), 1991 Dodge 4WD truck with 5.9 Cummins turbo-intercooled diesel, 1994 Ford 4WD F250 with 7.3 IDI turbo diesel, two 1986 Chevy Blazers with 6.2 diesels, a 1982 Chevy 4WD 1/2 ton pickup with a 6.2 diesel and four-speed manual trans with OD (kind of rare). Also many diesel farm tractors, backhoes, and bulldozers. I also have one chainsaw that runs on diesel fuel but does not use compression-ignition. Up to last year I ran most on home heating oil. Now I cannot.

I'm really curious about that diesel chainsaw!

The Comet is one - made in the middle 50s in Sweden. Jonsered got hold of the design and sold their own model XA. That's the one I have. It is a "hot bulb" engine. Same principal as several European farm tractors. Runs on diesel fuel and ignites it with a hot-bulb. Not a compression-ignition engine. Just runs on diesel fuel.

You can hear one run and watch it smoke on Utube.

Or read the history here: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/6359233ddce7cc3d88256bcb0059e03e/2bbf7691752bc9c088256c29004f9fef?OpenDocument

• 2 months later...

Yes we got rid of the 2.4 non turbo diesel engine and fitted a 1KZ engine, very nice power and torque, the diff was made up from 2 diiffs, we sliced off the fully floating hubs from a 88 landcruiser diff and welded them up to the factory diff housing and had 2 new axles made up. Hope that helps. Cheers Cary