Radio Antenna

nooga

Moderator: I'm not sure this is the proper forum for my problem so feel free move it to the right place.

The radio antenna on my 1994 Spirit has been snapped off. I unscrewed the thingamajig holding the stub of the antenna but the stud and any attached wires fell into the wheel well and I could not find a way to retrieve it. Today I took it to a local radio shop and was told that the replacement would entail taking the fender off as well as the dash. The estimate cost was $90, which seems reasonable given the amount of work involved. My question: Is there anyone out there in Toyland who has run into a similar problem or knows of an easier and less expensive solution? The original equipment radio works okay without the antenna in an urban area but not in rural areas, where I need it the most. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

I have not worked on a 94 but on my 87 those directions would be technically correct. The fender has to be removed but it's the inner fender and held in place by a few screws or snaps or something (it's been a while). If you take your inner fender off you can get to what fell in. It is easier if the front wheel is taken off. Then you will see the coax go into a hole in the firewall. If you need to replace that coax, you would have to fish it through there and get it to the radio. You need to get to the back of the radio to insert the coax so parts of the dash or the radio would need to be moved. But likely the old coax is fine and only needs an antenna. It's up to you. Kim

The only part of the fender that should have to be removed is the plastic mud shield above the tire. The back of the radio does involve more dash removal than the previous generation trucks. I guess $90 is reasonable if it includes parts but it's really a pretty easy job if you're at all mechanical. The trickiest part is knowing where all the screws and clips that hold the dash together are located.

Thanks all for the kind advice. Again, I apologize to all for the repeated posts. The long delay after clicking on the send button made me think something was awry. As Linda said, I need more patience.