Phx To Nola

JasonNOLA

Just completed my first road trip in a newly purchased 1994 Itasca. I purchased the RV with 81,000 miles on it in Phoenix from a private seller and drove it to New Orleans over a three day period.

Happy to report that I was getting 17 MPG at one point in flat land Texas west of El Paso. My top speed on the trip was probably 65 on a downhill but my average speed was about 50.

The only issues I had were the severe winds (50 mph gusts) blowing around Texas. There were several times when the little Itasca (named her The Turtle) was getting tossed around on the highway. I almost pulled over but I would not have felt safe on the shoulder. Also, the big 18-wheelers blowing by at 80+ MPH can be a little intimidating.
My takeaway as a new owner so far is try to AVOID major interstates. They are not fun and the rest of the world now drives at 80 MPH, on average.
In the future, I hope to find parallel highways and take my time....it's not like I would get there any faster!
Here are trip details:
  • Friday: Phoenix to El Paso (432 miles)

Left at 8:30am and arrived there at 6pm

Made several stops along the way for food, gas and photos. Had to stop at In n Out Burger in Tuscon because it's all the rage. Burger was great. Fries...nothing to write home about.

• Saturday: El Paso to Austin (577 miles)

Left at 7:30am and arrived at 9pm

This was a little out of the way but I was so glad to get off Interstate 10 and onto Highway 290. This is a great road that takes you through Fredericksburg, TX and through the Texas wine country. Who knew they had a wine region in Texas?

• Sunday: Austin to New Orleans (512 miles)

Left at 6:45am and arrived at 7pm

Nothing interesting to report here, except the big bridge over Lake Charles, LA is impressive and was probably the biggest "climb" I did.

If anyone has read this far, is there any real benefit to the ECT button? I am not noticing any difference...but thank goodness for overdrive.
Can't wait for the next trip!
Cheers.

post-7714-0-67636300-1398886631_thumb.jp

Thanks for the report.

Safe traveling.

If there is a next time at In n Out try double fried fries

Congratulations on your new TOY home. We have your cousin a 94 Winnebago Warrior. Never use the ECT, also drive slow like you.