And Yet Another New Guy Question

passman

Hi, I'm new here but have lurked for a few months preparing to buy a toy. Does anyone know the process for purchasing a vehicle in CA? It's hard to find anything concrete on-line and I've heard everything from I'll have to go with the owner to the DMV and pay transfer fee's to I'll need a temporary transportation permit to drive on CA. roads. (It won't be registered in CA.) I've located a 84 Sunrader that has been in CA. for the last 24 years, there are no records where it was for the six years before that. Total miles are less then 34K and between 1990 and present there has been less then 5k miles put on it with periods of up to six years where it wasn't driven at all (Carfax and CA emission tests) The present owner knows nothing about it as she took it in trade and only knows what her mechanic told her when she had it tuned up (pretty good shape no major problems) I hope he's right as it's a 1600 mile round trip to look at/buy

Sounds like a lot of variables to risk on such a trip. You could always take the route of having a mechanic go take a look at it and give it a good inspection before going out there to see it yourself. I have seen companies that will do this for a few hundred bucks.

I sold one of my CA rvs this weekend,

Seller is responsible for smog check.

Buyer pays the seller.

Seller signs the title in a couple of places.

There probably ought to be a bill of sale, but the price gets written onto the title.

Buyer drives off - should call your agent to get it insured first.

You COULD go to CA dmv and get a temp registration (most legal), or you COULD make tracks for home and deal with your own dmv.

(disclaimer - my advice may be worth exactly what you're paying for it)

Then you'll probably get the usual...

need new tires to be safe if they are over six or seven years old.

one more thing...

If you are able to get a bunch of digital photos, post some of them here. Close up on the tire dates if possible. Couldn't hurt to get perspective from other Sunrader owners.

Just a thought.

OK so you don't want to register it in Cal. You go to DMV and buy a trip permit for 18 bucks and drive it home. No plates, no problem.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch25/ch25_3.htm

Make absolutely sure she has a title. Make sure that if your state requires it the sales receipt is notarized. California doesn't require that but some states do. She has a vehicle release form on her title that you have to sign so it releases her liability on the vehicle. Her responsibility to send that in. And yes call your insurance company first.

And lastly where is it. If someone can go look for you it sure would help. I would. Anywhere near me? San Jose, Ca.

Linda S

Wow, thanks for all the information it really helps The rig is in San Francisco Linda, I don't know how far from you it is but I'm messaging you the information.

OK so you don't want to register it in Cal. You go to DMV and buy a trip permit for 18 bucks and drive it home. No plates, no problem.

We did this in Idaho and to drive it home, was about 10 $ as I remember it.

passman: where in the city is it?? I have probably seen it as I carry a camera always and take picts of any Toy RV I see. I have seen some exotic versions over the years like a tag axel (out in the avenues) and a GMC pick up instead of a Toyota(used to be parked 6 blocks up from the beach on Lincoln, lots of Dolphins in the park.

john

No time limit that I can see, it just has to be direct. Since it's supposedly good for trips out of state that might take a while to get there. They don't need to see any vehicle documents at all. You just ask for the trip permit and go. There is a free one available but that's so people can get their car smogged or bring it to DMV for verification. Those are 1 day only and you need vehicle docs.

Linda S

I just bought a toy home in CA. The seller had the paperwork right there. We filled out a bill of sale, I filled out a form he had there that was state issued stating that I was buying it and would be re-registering it (I don't know what that form was, but I think it allowed me to use the plates for a short period of time. We each signed the title in the proper places. I had my insurance add the toy to our policy and they emailed me the proof of insurance. The vehicle was smogged and registered, so legal and clear title, I don't know what we would have had to go through if it hadn't been.

Today I went to NM DMV and got our Land of Enchantment plates. No problems at all! Whew.

Someone has told me that Triple A will help its members with the proper way to buy cars in other states, I don't know if that's true, though.

Yes I Did. The 92 didn't work out, I followed your advice and checked the moisture content of the walls, they were 70% - 100% saturated so I passed. 300 mile round trip for nothing. The Sunrader went up for sale Saturday morning and I emailed them in case the 92 didn't work out. When I got back home I pestered them saying I had cash until they finally called me at 4:00pm and I was off and running for a 250 mile round trip. Owner was a 75 year old widow who's husband had passed away a couple of years ago and the Sunrader had been his baby. She knew nothing about it except that he had taken care of all maintenance and if there were records she didn't know where they were. It had been sitting for over two years but started right up and ran well, the tires were new when it was parked. The braked pedal was very soft but did stop the rig......... She was asking $5k, I offered $4k and she took it. I drove home 125 miles in a monsoon rain storm with questionable brakes and a rear tire that lost half it's air out of the valve stem. Frankly I couldn't be happier!!! :first:

Love it! And you got a really good deal - I paid 5 for mine a few weeks ago and have been offered a lot more for it - although I'll never sell! Have fun.