Adding Seatbelts/safety

JasonNOLA

We are about to purchase a 1994 Toyota Itasca and would like to make the camper area as safe as possible for kids.

We have seat belts in the driver and passenger seats, lap belts on the couch behind the driver's side and a lap belt on one side of the dinette that faces forward.

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to add or update seat belts so that shoulder harnesses are present? Can a seat belt be added to the side of the dinette that faces towards the rear, so that a child's car seat can be secured? Is this something that an RV dealership could do?

If anyone has any general advice about traveling with small children, we would appreciate it. We look forward to traveling as a small family, but want to be sure we are safe and secure on the highway as so many people tend to drive fast and reckless.

Thanks.

Shoulder harnesses are only as good as the anchor points. The wooden frames of our Toyhomes don't really work for that purpose.

Believe it or not, we anchor a carseat to the dinette. It's fairly secure, but my Dolphin is not a vehicle I'd like to have an accident in.

Bottom line: Drive slowly. Allow what might seem like excessive distance between you and other vehicles. Go easy around the corners, and be careful at intersections.

I think that's the best you can work with.

Believe it or not, we anchor a carseat to the dinette. It's fairly secure, but my Dolphin is not a vehicle I'd like to have an accident in.

Would you mind sharing details on this? Are you saying you just use the lap belt to hold the car seat in?

you are missing the point. This is not a vehicle your infants would survive a crash in, as evidenced by the lack of requirement that they even wear seat belts in most states unless in front cab. RVs in general disintegrate in a collision. however if you are looking to keep them anchored to a baby seat, the lapbelts provided in your original build (usually in the couch) should be frame mounted; at least my 86 they were.

Peel back your couch access and trace back the lap belt to its anchor bolt... that anchor is in steel frame most likely as a BOLT and washer. The ones that are in the barrel chairs are lag bolted into wood are not and will rip right out in huge collision. Best you can hope for is to have kids car seats on the couch, lap belt anchored.

+1 to the driving slower though, 55 to stay alive is the most effective defense against a bad day.

• 1 year later...

My 1992 Warrior only has a lap belt on the forward facing dinette seat. Has anyone added additional belts? Does anyone have a picture of the anchorage points that they could post.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW-First real camping trip to beautiful spot on the James River in Amherst, VA next week!!!

I added U-bolts on the sofa's metal frame to anchor the car seat base to. Other than that just be extra caution. The infant car seat, if use properly does an amazing job protecting the baby. There are no air bags on these so that's actually a good thing.

Linda has great suggestion, keep things that can fly away lock securely in cabinets. I'll pay extra attention on this on the next trip