I've been reading this forum for some time now and have found it quite helpful! Thanks to all for making this happen.

My question - on my 89 Toyota, 22RE engine, the overdrive kill switch is not working properly in that it is failing to lock out the overdrive when activated. I'd like to be able to drive (in Western Montana) without the overdrive kicking in every time I reach my desired speed on a slight incline, only to have to push the gas pedal down to kick the tranny out of overdrive because I've dropped too much speed. Sometimes this can go on for miles on end, especially on an Interstate that's following a river upstream - which happens at least 50% of the time in these parts! I've been told by a local mechanic that the transmission would need to be taken out in order to check some type of sending unit. As an FYI, the cruise control is also not working but I really don't need to have it working. It's just that the 2 failures might be linked. If anyone out there has some suggestions for me, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Does the light work? In other words does the O/D still engage with the light on? The transmission does not need to be removed the part that controls the O/D is external it can be removed in 10 minutes. If the "O" ring that seals the O/D solenoid is leaking (internally) or the solenoid it's self is bad you will not be able to turn it off. The cruise issue is not related.

Maineah - Yes, the O/D light comes on but the O/D still engages. Is the O/D solenoid located in the transmission?

Derek up North -

Response 1. - are you saying Many/most advocate never using the A43 transmission or the O/D in the A43? If the O/D, that's what I'd like to be able to do - not use the O/D.

Response 2 - I had not been aware of the altitude switch until I saw a note about it in one of the other subjects in this forum. As much of my driving is above 3000', evidently this lock-out switch is not working either or it's unable to override the failure of the O/D lock-out function.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Sorry, I was unclear. There's not much choice but to use the A43 with the 22R-E. I meant the overdrive, as you guessed. Some report getting the same or better MPG when NEVER using O/D. Though not scientifically tested, I think it's possible. However I think the these same people might see even better MPG numbers by using O/D under certain conditions (slight downhill/ strong tailwind/ drafting an 18-wheeler).

I have a 22RE w/auto and I never use my OD unless I am in a situation like Derek said-going downhill or stiff tailwind. My RPM's are too low at 55 for the engine to pull easily. I choose to stay in 3rd and let the 4 squirrels run like crazy.

I have a 22RE w/auto and I never use my OD unless I am in a situation like Derek said-going downhill or stiff tailwind. My RPM's are too low at 55 for the engine to pull easily. I choose to stay in 3rd and let the 4 squirrels run like crazy.

Me too. Turned it off and never looked back. When I'm going downhill I want the lower gear to help with braking anyway. I did test the overdrive many times on long flat road and always got better mileage with it off.

Linda S

Maineah - Yes, the O/D light comes on but the O/D still engages. Is the O/D solenoid located in the transmission?

Derek up North -

Response 1. - are you saying Many/most advocate never using the A43 transmission or the O/D in the A43? If the O/D, that's what I'd like to be able to do - not use the O/D.

Response 2 - I had not been aware of the altitude switch until I saw a note about it in one of the other subjects in this forum. As much of my driving is above 3000', evidently this lock-out switch is not working either or it's unable to override the failure of the O/D lock-out function.

Thanks for the quick responses!

The solenoid is external it is at the rear of the transmission a little can with a wire attached. The solenoid is a valve it allows fluid to flow when the O/D is on when you push the button and the O/D off light comes on the valve closes O/D shuts off. First they need to check for power at the solenoid with the O/D switch off only. Now it is possible the valve is bad if it leaks internally the O/D can not be turn off. There is also an "O" ring that can fail that is attached to the solenoid valve if it leaks the O/D can not be turned off. In the fact every thing works including the O/D there is nothing wrong with the transmission. The altitude sensor system does pretty much the same thing the O/D switch does. O/D use is up to the owner I don't think any one can prove one way or the other if it good or bad. The transmission takes care of it's self if the MH is going too slow it will down shift. Some will tell you that the converter slipping is what makes them hot this is true. But it also slips in 3rd. My MH was the only thing I owned that had an automatic in it I used O/D all the time but I also drove it as I would any truck if it had any strain on it I would decide when the O/D should shift. When I worked on these things many years ago we saw no difference as far as wear between a car or a truck. Service is the key in any thing that is asked to do more than was intended so extra coolers and fluid changes makes all the difference in longevity.