Hello all,

Relatively new to the the bohemian Toyota motor home world.

I picked up an 85 Toyota Sunrader for $1500 last year only intending to use it for a couple of week at burning man and sell it on.

It had been left up for years so was in rough shape. but no rust and engine was good apart for clutch, hoses, tires etc.

anyways i developed a soft spot for the old girl and hence the restoration.

shes nearly back in pristine shape after extensive work mostly on the inside and rewiring.

It has the old 5 lug dully axle that never got recalled so i want to change it out ASAP.

I need to know options for axle's

Possible Plan:

Change axle to 1 ton single axle if possible ( Dont want to deal with so many tires and spares )

Lift it 2-4 Inches (Body lift)

Increase tire size

possible conversion to 4x4 if i still have it in a few years and wanted to invest the cash.

Question is what axle could i use that wont break the bank??

Need to be cheap

Have option for a locker or posi

Any info would much be appreciated.

Some pics of my rig

will need to upload from Picasso later

post-7684-0-76193800-1395856326_thumb.jp

GM 8 lug Dana has the same gear ratio as the Toyota 4.10. The width would equal your dual wheel setup but allow the use of single wheels. The spring perch would have to be flipped over, and rear driveshaft modified to mate to the GM axle.
15" 8 lug wheels with 205-15 Lt tires on the back. 8 lug adapters on the front Toyota rotors and same wheel and tire will complete the package.

Thanks for all that info. very informative. I'll start looking in craiglist?

Did you do the same conversion yourself ? What do ya think about lifting her a couple of inches ?

205-15 Lt tires will probably lift you a bit already.

195/75/14 diameter 25.516". Circumference 80.161"

LT 205-70R-15 diameter 26.29". Circumference 82.621 "

Not a big enough difference to matter.

I chose 205's for this reason.

If you want to change to the 1 ton single axle all you need to do is remove the duallies. There was no special axle for the single wheel truck. Just better springs. So that's what I would recommend. Just go to single wheel in the back and get some of these

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/maxxis/205%252F00-14+maxxis+ue-168+%28n%29+bravo+series+109%252F107q.html

Real D load tires and bigger than the ones listed above

More than strong enough to hold the weight of a tiny Sunrader. The fake duallies were the main reason for axle failures.

Linda S

They do. They just call it the correct 205r14. Online Tires is another tire dealer that has a problem with no center number so they added 00. If you don't know the brand and the model of the tire your looking for you can't just search by size. The 00 doesn't work there either

Linda S