1985 New Horizon...questions Before I Purchase?

surf204z

Hello. I am looking at a 1985 New Horizon for sale. I was hoping to get a little input from some of you experts out there. The motorhome has 98,000 miles, 2nd owner, and the asking price is $4500. I have not seen it in person yet, but the motorhome looks very clean in the photos.

I read through the pre purchase information on this site (very helpful).

If anyone is willing to take a few minutes and give some input it would be greatly appreciated. What do you know about this model, anything particular that I should be looking for, and what do you think of the asking price? Thank You!!

New Horizon's are very likely to not have the correct axle. You need to check the rear axle and see if it has 6 lugs and a hub that sticks out in the middle. If that is OK check the whole camper carefully for water damage. Push on walls and ceiling and see if they are firm or have a lot of give. Check all appliances and make sure they work. Ask for fridge to be cold when you get there. Takes long time to cool. Check date code on tires. Older than 6 years need replacing no matter how good they look. Can cost 800 bucks.

Good luck

Linda S

New Horizon's are very likely to not have the correct axle. You need to check the rear axle and see if it has 6 lugs and a hub that sticks out in the middle. If that is OK check the whole camper carefully for water damage. Push on walls and ceiling and see if they are firm or have a lot of give. Check all appliances and make sure they work. Ask for fridge to be cold when you get there. Takes long time to cool. Check date code on tires. Older than 6 years need replacing no matter how good they look. Can cost 800 bucks.

Good luck

Linda S

Thanks for the reply Linda. If the rear axle is upgraded. What do you think of the asking price?

New Horizons were a little bit up scale but I could not tell you if an 85 had the 1 ton rear or not it definitely something you need to check. I had an 87 and not only did it have a 1 ton rear it also had a 9 leaf spring pack and the larger front brakes and a fiberglass shell! The price is not far off if it's in nice shape.