My problem was my gray tank is located just behind the spare tire. There was no way to get a tire tool to lower the tire when needed.

I removed the tire hoist and welded a 1" socket to the hoist where the slotted tire tool use to attach. With a 3/8 extention attached to the welded socket the tire can now be raised or lowered with a rachet wrench.

I still have to crawl under the truck to get the tire lowered but with the use of the extention and rachet job is much easier.

post-4138-0-36065500-1390105693_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-53724400-1390105725_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-00734600-1390105758_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-91970100-1390105790_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-44689400-1390105795_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-15773500-1390105817_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-58241900-1390105848_thumb.jp

Hi

what model is your motorhome. on my 21ft dolphin my spare wheel is bolted to rear wall under back window.

@ Chefdave Model is 18' Nissan Sunrader.

Hi

i have always wondered why manufacturers put spare wheel under car. it collects water dirt and salt all the wrong stuff for smooth operation. had one car with a under car spare wheel. took it to tyre fitters and they spent 2hours to it working. then gave me a tip to put copper grease on thread every six month and wind it up and down.

With pickups, it just makes the most sense, since you don't want it taking up space in the bed. I guess the could recess part of the bed and have it sit up there, but then if the bed was full of stuff, you wouldn't be able to get at it.

With Toyotas, all of which have the spare tire under the bed, you just need to make sure you use it every now and then. Either crank it up & down once every few months and oil it, or do like we all should be doing, and rotate the tires the right way...rotating the spare, too. Then you can also lube the mechanism up while you're rotating your tires.

I agree that it's not perfect, but I think it's the best solution of where to put the spare tire, all things considered. I don't see any manufacturer willing to have a spare tire mounted on the front or back bumper, stock from the factory, by design. Just isn't going to happen.

Hi

i have thought of moving mine to the front of camper. two options avaliable to me are bolt to bonnet or attach to my bull bar. have seen a photo of it bolted to bull bar. Still have to fit a spare wheel cover where it ends up. wont make a huge difference front to back weight but every little helps.

• 3 weeks later...

on my dolphon the spare was hung on bolts through the back wall of the camper under the bathroom sink. i bought a bumper mount for a pull trailer . my bumper was reinforced by a prevous owner. in its configeration out of box it was two low would not work but we remodeled it and bolted on the squre bumper is working great . i did not like all that wt on the back wall of a 1987 camper. as for my 88 4 w d still oem chain hoist a far better tire lifting setup then i ever saw on any american truck of that era.