Does anyone have a recommendations for the Buffalo area?

I've got the 1984 22R 4 speed manual mini RV with pop up top.

Started leaking oil badly today, and it's going to be a big job.

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations in this part of NY or the Erie part of Pennsylvania.

Thanks

post-7485-0-29187500-1388892696_thumb.jp

When you say leaking oil badly, is the oil coming from the front of the engine by the crank pully? If so, its likely the front oil seal. Very common on these engines.

Toyota RV mechanicals are the same as a regular Toyota pickup truck. Any garage with a lift can do the work.

The mechanic in PA told me that the "gasket behind the timing chain belt" is leaking...

He said this is going to be an 8-10 hour job and require everything to come out. Mind you, he wasn't willing to do the work himself so he wasn't trying to "take me for a ride". However, he still may have mis-diagnosed it. Going for a second opinion this morning.

That gasket usually doesn't go bad. The front crank seal seems to go frequently on the older engines.

If it turns out to be that seal it makes sense to replace the oil pump at the same time. It has to be removed to replace the seal.

Many of the rebuilt oil pumps come with the seal already fit into the pump. Worth checking before buying the seal separate.

Changing out the front seal and installing a Speedie Sleeve on the damper is a common job and should take 2 hours or less.

Thanks guys, too bad I didn't see the message about changing the oil pump sooner, but you were right it was indeed the front crank seal. Anyway, the guy here did a great job and I got the plugs and distributor cap replaced too, since he was already ripping stuff apart.

If anyone is ever stuck in the Buffalo area, I'd highly recommend emailing Craig Manning. He's in the Amherst area and he helped me out on a Sunday morning. His email is "camtransam at gmail dot com" He responds quickly to email.