1985 Toyota Rogue

Celia Thompson

The really nice thing about these RV's is that no matter the make, the appliances are all "of the shelf." The appliance replacements or parts can be bought at almost any RV supply shop. Refrigerators are mostly Norcold or Dometic. Furnaces are frequently Atwood or Suburban, water heaters are mostly Atwood and Suburban. Many water pumps are Shuflow.

The light fixtures are harder to find lenses for but you can always replace with a new fixture.

When working on the cab/chassis, remember that it was built by Toyota, not the RV manufacturer. Also check the year of the truck, it is frequently a year older than the RV year of manufacture, ie: my '88 Escaper is built on an '87 Toyota.

Hi,

I purchased my 1985 Rogue, and I'm just getting ready to start up the appliances. If anyone out there has one, I would sure like to connect with you!

Thank!

Celia

Celia,

I'm not certain that I've ever seen a "Rogue RV" before. Can you (or another member) download

a photo of this model for us to see?

Also, specifically what kind of questions do you have & about which appliance?

~Riverman77

Pretty much the same as other stick built MH other than different colors for the stripes.

http://www.freewebs.com/myrv/

Thanks for the photo Derek. It looks very much like a typical Dolphin. I'll betcha that Rogue was one of those (many) small companies that made a good attempt to succeed but, got caught in all that legal stuff during the class action lawsuits.

~Riverman77

Class Action lawsuits?

Derek,

That period in the 1990's, when it seemed that nearly all of the smaller coach builders went out of business, due to the recall when the axles were all failing. Toyota itself (who I don't think did anything wrong) had to pay out millions of dollars. A bunch of small company's couldn't afford to pay for their part of the recall and simply went out of business. National RV (builder of Dolphin) of Perris CA. seems to have been one of the few coach builder's who survived that whole legal mess.

That's the way that I understand what had happened during the class action / axle recall day's (in a nutshell).

Did I leave anything important out? Or, is the axle story a little different than that?? I could be wrong.

~Riverman77

As far as I've seen, the Recall was issued against the only remaining manufacturers still in business. All the others were already out of business or they'd have had a recall issued in their name. Only Sunrader was, perhaps, forced to close their doors. Or perhaps the writing was already on their wall before the recall. They played along with the authorities for a while (perhaps while they hid some assets?) before pulling the plug.

Anyway, it's the first time I've come across any mention of lawsuits WRT rear axles.

As far as I've seen, the Recall was issued against the only remaining manufacturers still in business. All the others were already out of business or they'd have had a recall issued in their name. Only Sunrader was, perhaps, forced to close their doors. Or perhaps the writing was already on their wall before the recall. They played along with the authorities for a while (perhaps while they hid some assets?) before pulling the plug.

Anyway, it's the first time I've come across any mention of lawsuits WRT rear axles.

Derek,

It was my understanding that there was a big lawsuit that surrounded the whole axle recall ordeal. But again, I may have been incorrect on some of the facts. Did Toyota 'voluntarily' issue the new 'beefed up' dually axles to be installed at Toyota dealers and various coach builders? I still wonder why 20 or 25 of these mini RV coach builders suddenly went out of business? The design and style of our micro mini Toy's was (and still is) a super terrific seller.

~Riverman77

i owned a 1978 toyota based motorhome called a MINIMAX i have found a total of four units known to exist. i have never been able to find out who made them. or where they were made. it was a 5 lug with fake duals.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living in my 1986 Rogue for a year. Got it with 28k miles, now 32k miles. I have the rear dinette layout. They had 3 layouts. I have the original brochure. I like the steel reinforced roof and floor. It also has an extra piece welded onto the rear frame for the extra length. Make sure you have the 6 nut axles in the rear. Used to live in a 1973 Winnebago Indian. This is just as roomie, just lower ceiling