Attaching Sheet Metal To Wood

MontanaChinook

I bought some stock sheet metal from Home Depot to cover over the side of the cabinets that are right inside my door. It's a high traffic area, and is definitely going to get banged up. So I'm putting a small sheet of metal over that area.

I bought some heavy-duty adhesive. Just curious if people think the adhesive will be enough, or if I will need to put a few screws through it. I'd rather just use the adhesive, but...of course what I most want is for it to stick, and stay.

It's just a stock sheet metal piece, not sure how thick...but it was right in an aisle in the hardware store, pre-cut and priced. Pretty thin.

Any thoughts?

Zach,

I don't know what you got for metal but Liquid Nails does a pretty goot job sticking anything to most anything. I would wipe down the side of the metal that will be getting the glue with acetone to remove any old oil or crud that might be there from the manufacturer. Do a dry fit with the metal with all of your props or clamps nearby. Liquid Nails begins to set up quickly right out of the tube.

John

Thanks John. I bought Loctite construction adhesive. Hopefully that works as well?

I'll clean the metal off. And hopefully with the warm weather this weekend, and an electric heater running inside the camper, it'll be warm enough for it to set up well...

I used to lay formica (way back in the old days). Karin's idea sounds the best to me.

Use a disposable 3" paint roller and paint on at least 2 coats of contact cement. Be sure

to fully let each coat dry, of coarse. Slap 'em together and it will go no where.

No screws or clamps needed either. Good luck.

~Riverman77