Bungee Cord Size Needed For 78 Chinook

Donnie

Hello team, just got my Chinook back from the body shop. In the process of removing the top, they managed to loose the bungee cord that runs from the front to rear on each side...I recall it as being in poor condition, but it was there in pieces..THEY deemed it not worth saving & tossed it. I can't even find a scrap of it to determine what to order to replace it with...As I recall, it was pretty stretchy, but not very strong.

I have found a seller on Ebay that has 3...4....& 5 mm available....Can anyone suggest as to which I should buy? The Ebay number that I looked at is: 330947427867 >>> this is the 5mm size, but I am thinking that I may not need that size, thus this post......TIA, Donnie

JDemaris might speak up...he's the only one I know of around here with a pop-top Chinook.

For crazy, obscure stuff like this that would only be known to Chinook owners, I would join the yahoo Toyota Chinook group. It's not very active lately because of one dumba** that joined and caused a bunch of arguing...but if you post a question, people will jump in and answer it.

Yes ask here. I'm sure someone will see your post and answer.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotachinook/

You are talking about the bungie that runs on the inside of the pop top canvas to bring it in when you close the roof right. Doesn't that run through some rings? Size of the rings might be a clue as to how thick of a cord you need. You don't need that much strength but you need it to be very stretchy. I would think thinner but ask someone on that site to measure theirs to be sure

Linda S

Yes ask here. I'm sure someone will see your post and answer.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotachinook/

You are talking about the bungie that runs on the inside of the pop top canvas to bring it in when you close the roof right. Doesn't that run through some rings? Size of the rings might be a clue as to how thick of a cord you need. You don't need that much strength but you need it to be very stretchy. I would think thinner but ask someone on that site to measure theirs to be sure

Linda S

Hello Team, yes Linda I am speaking about the bungie that pulls the canvas in when closing the top. It does run thru some "rings", but they are loops sewn into the canvas & provide no indication of the prior bungie size...The only real metal ring is sewn in at each end to secure the cord to the canvas. The guides that are in between are just large loops sewn in to retain the cord to the canvas, & they are open enough to allow the larger metal ends of the cord to be installed... My guess is that it was threaded through from one end then attached at the other end in one piece....

It's not a big deal finding out what I need, I just thought that someone would "pop up" pun intended, with a suggestion & yours made as much sense as my own thoughts. They were that it be really able to stretch easily & not be really strong.

Thank you for your information...BTW, after reading for the last hour about the other site, I have decided not to join.

If I don't find answers to any question that I may post on this forum, I will just wing it...........regards, Donnie

I thought that when I joined, someone suggested that there were a few pop top owners on here??????????????????????????

By the way. You can join the other chinook group and in your profile put no email. That way you can go online and just read it with no other contact from them. The owner of the yahoo chinook group is Nolan but he is rarely online anymore. He is kind of a legend as far as I'm concerned. He made these

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/nolan's_76_chinook.htm

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/nolan's_blew.htm

Linda S

Hi Donnie: I do not have a Chinook, but a Sunrader Adventure pop top. It also has a cord on the inside that pulls the canvas in when the top is lowered. I purchased bungee cord to replace the original at the local Ace Hardward store. They had several reels of different weights of bungee cord, sold by the foot. It was pretty inexpensive. The one I got is about 1/8-inch (3mm). I do not know if the color of bungee cords means anything---this is white. So far, it has worked well. Sue

By the way. You can join the other chinook group and in your profile put no email. That way you can go online and just read it with no other contact from them. The owner of the yahoo chinook group is Nolan but he is rarely online anymore. He is kind of a legend as far as I'm concerned. He made these

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/nolan's_blew.htm

Linda S

Thank you Linda for the "no email" info.........I am overloaded with too many mission board's now to join more...I did promise awhile ago to back your theory with some facts when you posted about driving in 3rd gear....you are correct & I will soon expound on this.

Give me a few daze & I will post the reasons, down loops & pitfalls .....& your theory will make sense to the masses...

I have to think of a way to get across W/O annoying anyone........I dislike confrontation's...thank you again, Donnie

Hi Donnie: I do not have a Chinook, but a Sunrader Adventure pop top. It also has a cord on the inside that pulls the canvas in when the top is lowered. I purchased bungee cord to replace the original at the local Ace Hardward store. They had several reels of different weights of bungee cord, sold by the foot. It was pretty inexpensive. The one I got is about 1/8-inch (3mm). I do not know if the color of bungee cords means anything---this is white. So far, it has worked well. Sue

THANK YOU TACOMA SUE, :-).........We have only a Tru Value Hardware in our small town, only a 15 minute drive from my home, but they do not have any on bulk roll's...There is an ACE in a town about 20 miles from here.....I never gave them a thought, DUH !

Went straight on line, but I'm going to ACE tomorrow if we don't get the predicted ICE storm....It will be nice to "feel" the stretchability

(is that a word?) of the cord......and yes white is OK, in fact preferred......I appreciate your help, Donnie

Get one way too long and get a bunch of the metal clamps that go at the ends. Just keep shortening it till you're happy with the way it works. I did that on a canopy at the home and it's still working great. Eventually it will lose some strength and just shorten it a bit.

john