Need Opinions On 97-01 Chinook (Ford Chassis)

Hello there,

While i keep my toy as a reliable backup for local trips i'm also in the market for the 97 and newer ford chassis 21' Chinooks. More specifically the ones with the ford E350's, ranging from ford 460, 7.2 powerstroke diesel to the newer 6.8 v10's. While it's not that much more room, i like the extra power and umph up the hills and leaning towards paying more for gas than spending more hours to get there or being a road hazard to others.

I've driven a ford 10 33' fleetwood class c before and i thought it was well balanced power for its size.

I like the chinook because of the molded fiberglass design, overall size 21' and the option to fully load up without worrying about the power. Heck with the 460 or 7.2 powerstroke, i can tow another trailer if i needed it.

I would like any opinions from those of you who have experience with these vehicles or these types of engines their reliability, expected life, common issues etc.

Thanks in advance.

post-6524-0-31197800-1385591257_thumb.jp

I have a friend with a 2000 Chinook and he loves it. He owned a 70's Chinook before. It only gets 10mpg but he says he loves it anyway. A powerstroke diesel in a later model Chinook is rarer than Sunrader 4x4's. Great if you can find one but your going to have to pay big time for it. For the same price you could also consider a Tiger CX. They are built on Chevy or Ford or Dodge chassis. As small as a Chinook but your more likely to find one for less than 30 grand and more of them are Diesel and quite a few are 4xs4's

Linda S

Ebay class B, there several makers of Chinook type MH's. If you go with the Ford V-10 a few more ft wont make a difference in MPG.

FWIW I have a 26ft Class A with a GM 7.4L Vortec. When driven at "TOY" speeds it will do 10+mpg. Compared to a Super B there is a lot more room.