New Speakers

tomstoyo

My Escaper had a very shallow area to mount the new speakers so I added speaker spacers.. They are plastic rings that mount between the speaker and the mounting surface and come in different thicknesses. I was able to mount much better quality speakers with the extra inch of clearance. I used 6 1/2" speakers. The originals were 5 1/4" but the larger ones have a better base sound without being boomy.

Yup. My 78 didn't even have speakers in the doors. Just those awesome dashboard speakers hidden under the dash pad.

I cut holes in the doors, added a HUGE spacer, and 6x9 speakers. Looks a little silly...but I have great sound! With stuff like this, you've either got to be willing to roll up your sleeves and do some cutting or modifications, and search the Internet for what you think would make it work....or pay some teenager at a audio place to do it for you.

I pretty much pieced together what I would need by googling different stuff and reading what other people had done. That and some dumb luck, and I bought the right stuff to get it all done the first time.

Coach=??? Truck or house?

I was referring to replacing my coach speakers also by using the spacers. I replaced the dash speakers with 3 1/2" speakers and they sound much better than the 25 year old factory units.

I bought another set of 6x9s and pre-built speaker boxes for them. Lots of extra speaker wire so I can put them in different places around the coach, including facing out the windows.

Sometimes it's easier to start from scratch than to try to modify existing stuff...

I installed new coach speakers, the issue I ran into was speaker depth, Mine are mounted on the bottom side the hanging cabinets. The replacement speakers were deeper, so I had to open up the cabinet, and cut an opening in the cabinet floor where the speaker sticks up inside the cabinet. The problem was now, if you open the cabinet, you would see the speaker magnet sticking up. So I went to the dollar store, found some cheep plastic bowls, and screwed a bowl (upside down) over the magnet.

You may avoid this if you can find the tilted speaker mounts and use those instead of mounting directly to the bottom of the cabinets.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4356

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)