Trying to locate proper tires for my 1987 Toyota Escaper.

It is time for me to put tires onto the Toyota before travels. I had a blow out the other day in the rear on the way home after it sat for a few months in a barn.

I have read through all of the tire threads I could find on the forum using the search feature and would still like to get some input before I spend the money.

The current tires on it in the front are 185/14 and the tires on the rear are 205/75/14.

Everywhere I have called to or everywhere I have looked online can only find a "trailer" tire under the size 205/75/14. I cannot seem to locate anything but a trailer tire in this size. I am kind of curious if the tires on it are trailer tires that a past owner may have put on?

Anyways, do I have to stay at that tire size? In another thread on this forum I see people saying they have the Hankook RA08 (LT185/R14). Specs say these are 8 ply tires for vans and transporters. Will this tire size fit my rims in the rear? Can I put this size on the fronts as well so that all six tires are the same kind?

Sorry if I sound unsure what to do in this situation, I have never had to find tires for a mini rv yet :)

Very possible your blow out was because your too big tires weren't fully inflated and rubbed in the middle. Largest size these rigs ever came with was 195R14. Lots of 185r14 available online and many local tire stores can order them for you. The dually wheels only came in one size and the 185 or 195 are what they were intended for so yes they will fit

Linda S

The cheapest I found locally was $120 a tire, mounted and balanced. I found them online for $80 with free shipping but walmart charges $15 each to mount/balance so I am likely going with the $120 locally unless I find a better price elsewhere.

for a brick and mortar store americas tire or discount tire is the best price for hankooks. but you can order them from costco.

even though this size of tire is common in europe they dont sell all the best brands here. the most recent modern tire in this size ive seen is the hankook ra08

tires have a times life span too especially relavant with toyhomes and even if you find a continental tire its an old model

ive got 4 ra08s and 2 jupiters which are what pep boys carries.

185 r 14. already overbuilt for a toyhome especiially in the front. 195 r 14 is more for a small bus

• 2 weeks later...

discount tire doesnt advertise their 185r14 price on their website. but the price is 97$ or something. Overall not anything to complain about considering what truck tires go for.

I know they were cheapest when I got mine but I cant really be sure. Walmart might be cheaper.