Too Much 12v Power!

timay

I bought these neat soft white LED 1141 direct replacement bulbs for my 1991 Warrior. They worked great until I hooked up to shore power. I started smelling burning, and after some looking around realized they were melting! I think this may not be a issue with the bulbs but with my converter because when I swapped the bulbs out I noticed black on the inside of the old bulbs. And the incandescent bulbs get hot enough to melt the plastic shields when plugged in as well. Seems my 12v system is way too hot when the converter is in use, any suggestions or ideas?

32 amp power converter with battery charger series 6300 A Model 6332 manufacturer Magnetek. 1991 Warrior

i didnt have that problem but i used the panel types.

i do have a couple 1141 leds inside but they are like blue or green or something and i never use them.

youll find using the square panels is a way better fit.

I highly recommend picking up a whole new fixture like I did, it looks modern and the LED bulb is the perfect soft white color. I have 4 of these in my Warrior, they replaced all my old lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-LED-interior-light-Boat-Utility-trailer-Cargo-Trailer-12-volt-Ceiling-light-/171162458293?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27da13d8b5

I got a pack these, http://www.amazon.com/Amico-BA15S-68-SMD-Brake-Backup/dp/B007VLFENE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366145356&sr=8-1&keywords=Amico+10+Pcs+Car+1156+BA15S+1206+68-SMD+LED , from someones post here and was soo happy I got another 10 and put 'em in the whole RV and the turn and back-up lites. :)

john

wrong advice...you would measure output VOLTAGE... not current. I have the same converter in my Warrior..do you have the coach battery in place and connected? The battery acts as a capacitor to soak up the AC ripple,it might keep the DC down...the manufacturer has a troubling shooting section with a flow chart...you would not be helped much unless you're familiar with using a volt meter (analog type preferred)...this probably won't be the case where you take one reading and everything becomes crystal clear, some models are adjustable output voltage, a remote chance someone tried to "improve it".

Sound advise, I'll take a voltmeter to it when I get a spare minute, yes the coach battery's are connected, and were recently replaced. I am uncomfortable even plugging it in to maintain the battery's for now thinking it may damage them. Seems the converter/charger replacements are pretty affordable and from what I understand more efficient, can you think of a likely scenario where replacing the converter would not solve the problem?

Sound advise, I'll take a voltmeter to it when I get a spare minute, yes the coach battery's are connected, and were recently replaced. I am uncomfortable even plugging it in to maintain the battery's for now thinking it may damage them. Seems the converter/charger replacements are pretty affordable and from what I understand more efficient, can you think of a likely scenario where replacing the converter would not solve the problem?

It is not at all unusual for the bulbs to burn the lens covers you'll see that in many RV's. Cheap LED's have no voltage regulators and won't stand much over voltage there is so much Chinese junk out there that is does not surprise me if one cooked even if every thing is cool. Your converter voltage maybe high plugged in but usually not much over 14 volts if it is yeah it will give you problems with every thing. One of the best up grades you can do on the cheap is a new modern converter/charger.

check your voltage. I do hear there are some cheap LED's out there.

I have a 93 warrior - when plugged in for more than a day I disconnect my house battery (after turning off the 110v ac source) by removing a terminal at the battery - I think it will overcharge the battery.