Under pressure...

Ashevillian

I noticed a hint of gas smell near my dolphin today and found out that there was gas spilling out of the filler cap/hose of my secondary tank used for the generator. When i take the cap off, gas kept spilling out and it looks like the tank has been over filled or something. The tank is very small and is mounted under the exterior storage cubby. Anyone know what could cause that?

Background: we just completed (been back about a week) a 1500 mile round trip with it but i havent touched my generator since i've owned it (about a month) and havent added any gas to it. Not sure if it matters but it dropped to about 23 here two nights ago.

Edited by Ashevillian

I don't know but I had this happen with one tank of gas. I refilled on my way back from a weekend trip in July, and for three or four days after that, I noticed gas smell when I'd walk by the camper, and even a little stain down the side of the camper. The fuel was leaking out the truck gas tank cap. I'd open the cap and see bubbles come out...

I did this most days that week. Open the cap and see a bunch of bubbles come out and the gas level move back down the filler tube. Hasn't happened since...

I have no idea what caused it.

If your generator gas tank is totally seperate from your main fuel tank it sounds like an overpressure issue.

Do you have the correct gas cap on the tank? Is your tank in close proximity to either your exhaust system or furnace?

Something is causing pressure inside the tank. I'm not sure what your setup is without more info its hard to diagnose the problem. My first instinct is the gas cap.

Wag time, you have a bow in your filler hose and it is collecting gas like a P trap does water in a sink. So when the temp rises the fuel and air in the tank expand and push out the fuel in the line..

Look around underneath and see how the filler hose runs.