Upright Rear Cargo Boxes

snail powered

Looks like they turned two truck work boxes on end. It's a good concept but like our o/s door mirrors I cringe when I think about what would happen to the coach if someone backed into them from the sides. It would not be pretty.

Some damaged fiberglass at bumper level is much easier to fix then having to replace the rear of the coach.
Look at how the boxes are bracketed at the top. Any impact will either push in the fiberglass or rip it off. Not to mention what it might do to the alignment of the rear door frame. Using a fiberglass body panel for structural support is a really bad idea. Just my opinion.

As I previously stated the structure would be beefed up from the inside. If an SUV backed into my Sunrader coming into it from the side the damage would take out the wall well above the lower edge of my rig. I don't think that box installation is a bad idea if properly done. Not only is the fiberglass more ridged and stronger at the back corners it is also thicker and more ridged at the door framing on a fiberglass RV. Therefore that back wall is one of the strongest wall sections in the RV, So if one puts in some extra layers of fiberglass and bonds in a backing plate and some horizontal stiffener cleats there will be plenty of strength in that wall section for that kind of installation.

To each his own. :)