After months of time in the shop, I got the Dolphin back and departed on a 2,000 mile road trip. Midway through I noticed that when the engine is under load, engine knock starts happening. This is especially noticeable when the transmission downshifts to 3rd.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks!

What type of engine?

Sorry, just saw your 3.0 header. Pinging is usually caused by low octane fuel, wrong ignition timing, or incorrect heat range on your sparkplugs.

I'm not familiar with that particular engine but I'm sure other members would have better info.

If the problem wasn't there before you had the work done I would bring it back and explain what its doing now. It could mean just a simple correction by the mechanic. Good Luck.

coming out of a shop, I would guess that is the source - timing is the first guess, followed by plugs, wires, vacuum lines etc, If you have a V6 you may have the ETC button - be curious if things get better with that engaged.