1990 3.0 transmission dipstick length

Nicehobbits

We have a 1990 Toyota with a 3.0 V6 .. After doing 3 drain & fills of the transmission fluid , I want to made sure the level is right on the mark ....

My dipstick is showing lots of buckles & bends & measures 31inches from end to end .

Can anyone tell me what your is .. & can you still buy a new one .

Thanks

post-7414-0-58292100-1380929066_thumb.jp

Looks ok as far as I can tell from the pict. Any Toyota dealer or parts jobber will have this. I know this as I broke mine before learning "the way" to insert it. It was bent up from the previous owner so I'll blame them :)

At the bottom there is a small tab bent almost 90 degrees to the length, there's also one on my motor oil dipstick. The tab should be pointing to the front of the motor on initial insertion. Then slowly work the rest of the well cleaned off dipstick into the tube by holding onto it just 4 inches or so above the tube, pushing it in a small bit at at time. Repeat process untill you are at the pleated top several inches then you will be able to get it in the rest of the way using the plastic handel on the end.

I've been workin on many different mechanical beasts for over 55 years and I have NEVER seen such a stupidly designed item as this, with the possible exception of the entire stock cooling system of my 1971 Dodge van.

BTW the price from the dealer was to the moon , espically considering what it is and that they sell a lot of these, for obvious reasons. :(

Thanks van man ...

Mine is not real damaged in any way , but it seems they all have a twisty bendy piece at the top !! .. Why ! ... I also noticed the bent tip & I actually bent it back flat lol , I've since put the bend back on it .

I'm just going over a bunch of things on her before she goes to get a inspection .

the one in mine works fine - ONCE I FIGURED OUT not to try to poke it in - I use 2 hands, one feeding it in and the other guiding the back end. Mine rotates as it goes in - when I pull it out I pay attention to the orientation as it clears the tube -- if it is put in the same way & fed in it should work ok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Opppppps

i straightened mine out to get rid of bent tip and twist. goes in and out no probs now. lock dip stick with catch fitted to dip stick tube.

Oil level should not be too far off using highest mark on dipstick.

Today was change number 3 .. Oil that was drained was more red than brown .. So it's getting better ey ..

Plug out & drain into a empty milk tub ... Measure to exact amount with new into another old milk tub .. Refill .

Takes about 10 mins .

2.75 quarts used for refill .

Will do 1 or 2 more after time