Ceiling AC not working and 220V power cord

RVwinneGA

Hi all,

New here. I'm helping a friend do some TLC on his '88 Toyota Winnebago 21' RV. I really don't know much about these vehicles!

The 220V power cord thatr pulls out of the side of the RV is getting power to the living area but nothing is working when the plug is plugged to 220V source.

The interior lights work when the accessory battery is hooked up.

The roof AC doesn't doing anything when power the living area by the 220V cord or the accessory battery.

Any tips or troubleshooting ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by RVwinneGA

There is no 220 power cord and if you managed to plug it into a 220 power source you have probably blown the converter and everything else. That is a 30 amp 110 plug. In an Rv park it plugs into the outlet there but at home you need an adapter for it like this

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter/69604

The AC works on 110 only, not battery power, but won't work if you've blown the system.

Linda S

There is no 220 power cord and if you managed to plug it into a 220 power source you have probably blown the converter and everything else. That is a 30 amp 110 plug. In an Rv park it plugs into the outlet there but at home you need an adapter for it like this

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter/69604

The AC works on 110 only, not battery power, but won't work if you've blown the system.

Linda S

Hmm...that may be the problem! I had a friend who claimed to know something about RVs and said since the plug was a big 3 prong it needed 220V.

If the cord was indeed plugged into 220V.....what was probably blown?

Hmm...that may be the problem! I had a friend who claimed to know something about RVs and said since the plug was a big 3 prong it needed 220V.

If the cord was indeed plugged into 220V.....what was probably blown?

Well the biggy would be the power center converter. I don't know if there is a safety fuse between that and the power cord itself. Others on the site know more about that stuff. This is America. We don't use 220 to power anything more than big power draws like stoves and dryers. That 30 amp plug won't even fit into 220 so how did you get it in there

Linda S

As you can tell I don't have much experience with these. I was out of the shop when I had someone else checking the system and they hooked the power cord up to 30amp 220V. Hopefully the convert has a fuse! Hopefully it is promising that the interior lights work powered off the battery. No wonder the AC isn't/wasn't working since it wasn't getting proper 110V!

Your 88 should have a relatively newer power distribution and converter, so hopefully, you lucked out and it popped the circuit breaker in the power panel.

All your lights, the stove hood, the furnace, should all be running on 12 volts.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If the plug is intact meaning the plug has not been changed it can not be plugged into any 220 volt socket it will not fit. It is a 30 amp 120 volt plug there is nothing out there 220 that has the same configuration or any other 120 socket it is an RV only connection.

Good news!

Hooked the power cord up correctly today using an adapter type extension cord that was in the RV.

A breaker in the power panel had blow so replaced that and now everything seems to be working just fine...AC is blowing nice and cold and all the lights work!!

Thanks for all the help...I guess I got worked up for nothing!

If you are going to be plugging the RV in at home very often, I would suggest having someone with knowledge of electricity wire you a 30 amp RV outlet in your garage. I had my RV plugged into a regular outlet using an adaptor and when I tried out the A/C, the outlet and adaptor got hot. If it got hot, it can't be good. My converter was charging the battery, and refrigerator was plugged in also. I know that I was pulling more than the 15 amp adaptor was designed to handle.

If you are going to be plugging the RV in at home very often, I would suggest having someone with knowledge of electricity wire you a 30 amp RV outlet in your garage. I had my RV plugged into a regular outlet using an adaptor and when I tried out the A/C, the outlet and adaptor got hot. If it got hot, it can't be good. My converter was charging the battery, and refrigerator was plugged in also. I know that I was pulling more than the 15 amp adaptor was designed to handle.

Correct, the minute you install the adapter your 30 amp MH becomes a 15 amp and you can easily over load it with the A/C and some other stuff running. It's fine for running the converter/charger and a small electric heater but not much more.

Correct, the minute you install the adapter your 30 amp MH becomes a 15 amp and you can easily over load it with the A/C and some other stuff running. It's fine for running the converter/charger and a small electric heater but not much more.

Thanks. I just hooked it up for about 5 mins to see how the systems were working. It won't be used or hooked up with the adapter much. Thanks for the heads up.