waste water tank meltdown

Hi All,

The good news is that my 86 mini-winnie is running great while we just accomplished a 6400 mile jaunt across the country. We had a few issues that we shared on the posts and thanks for helping us solve problems.

We are currently on the road back from Ocracoke NC and helped some family with construction work in the Washington NC area. While there I must have bottomed out in a field where I parked and camped while helping. Well this caused the loss of a short extension on my exhaust pipe. I noticed a problem with seepage out of my grey water tank after just 30 miles traveling towards Rocky Mount NC. At the next stop I noticed something hanging down in the area and discovered a large hole and plastic strands hanging down from the area.I then noticed the source of the problem when I saw that my exhaust pipe was shorten and was directed right at the area where the holding tank is mounted. I had to find an auto parts store to find an extension so that we would not have exhaust fumes collecting under the vehicle and especially being directed at a plastic holding tank that had already melted enough to make a large gaping hole. I am happy to say that we didn't light it on fire which probably would have burned up our little camper.

So anyhow we now need to find a new holding tank. Any suggestions on where to find one?

ABS plastic can be repaired. Depending on where the hole is you can buy a flat sheet like this

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Black-Abs-Plate-Machine-Grade-Sheet-ABSBM.php?vid=&priceit.x=22&priceit.y=9

Or on a curve I have used fiberglass mat soaked in a thick slurry of abs glue and ground up ABS material I made with a rasp on my drill and a 1 dollar peice of pipe. Need a fairly open weave mat and you just paint it over again and again with the slurry. Eventually you have built new abs to fill the hole. Mine hasn't leaked since. If it is on flat part I would buy the sheet and cut to be a little bigger than the hole and still use the slurry method to attach it. Paint over several times after you get the sheet in place to make sure all is covered completely

Linda S

About 1/3 of the tank is completely gone. There is nothing to work with I'll just need a replacement.

Yes That sounds like replacement is the only option. Hopefully Winnebago can at least give you some info to help find a new one.

Linda S

If winnebago is not helpful try pulling the tank and post a picture and the measurements. I will try to find a replacement that will work for you

Going rate at RV shops near me is 120 bucks an hour. Your right I will not pay anyone for anything I can do myself. On the good side I feel stronger and more fit than I did 20 years ago. Weigh 60lbs less too. A little dirt and grime never bothered me.

Linda S