MPG

toyohome

thats a little low. I get around 14-15 at 55 -60mph.

Check tire pressure 60 in the rear, 55 in the front.

Adjust valves.

Check ignition timing

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have a 1987 Dolphin with a 22RE and automatic. I'm getting about 11.5 mpg driving at 55 on fairly level terrain. Is this average or is there something I could do to improve it?

Here is one guy's fuel mileage log for his 1985 Dolphin with a 22RE engine. He said he kept it in perfect working order.

post-6578-0-87218600-1377723685_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01293400-1377723688_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-39605900-1377723689_thumb.jp

Before i got the carburetor fixed, I got a hair better than 12 mpg driving up a steep grade to a mountain camp area and driving around town. The second trip was up the same mountain, after the carb was fixed, so will be anxious to check the mileage now.

When your mpg isn't up to snuff. The first step is a full tune-up to factory specs. Get a base line then start fiddling. A lot time the fiddling will increase things over where you started, but factory would be even better.

I am pretty surprised with my gas mileage. Took it for a carb rebuild, runs great. Got Ac converted and charged. It blows cool and comfy. We took it up a pretty long haul, over a respectable mountain pass, then up the other side of the mountain to camp. It isn't very peppy, but it made it. 61 miles, a good bit of it steep grades. Used 3.5 gallons. Very happy with the MPG if not the MPH!

22 R with 34,400 miles, 4 speed.

we also have 87 Seabreeze 20' with 22RE and auto with OD. our first couple of short trips we got 11 MPG, but then took a long trip and saw mileage increase to 13-14 mpg.