Using non working refrigerator

The fridge is the only thing not working now on my 84 dolphin. Just don't want to put the $500-$1200 into getting the original fixed, or replacing it, at least right now. I've bought a couple of plastic boxes that fit in the bottom, and plan to fill them with ice, which is usually readily available. It worked well with Milk jug ice blocks, but wont have a Way to refreeze once on the road. I'm sure there are clever ways to utilize this insulated space that I haven't thought of.

Probably...

My fridge doesn't work either, but if you search around, there are some very cheap ways of cleaning and checking out certain parts, with a good possibility of getting it working. Possibly for free, with just a little cleaning...or possibly just with replacing some simple parts.

There was one at the dump I drug home a big one with a freezer, well hopping it was a control issue (automatic control system) of course it wasn't it was only busted boiler that I could easily repair for about $480 so it became a smoker box for smoking meat! The little ones you can install a rebuilt cooling unit for around $200. Any one need parts for a Dometic 2820 fridge? Got every thing except a good cooling unit.

The fridge is the only thing not working now on my 84 dolphin. Just don't want to put the $500-$1200 into getting the original fixed, or replacing it, at least right now. I've bought a couple of plastic boxes that fit in the bottom, and plan to fill them with ice, which is usually readily available. It worked well with Milk jug ice blocks, but wont have a Way to refreeze once on the road. I'm sure there are clever ways to utilize this insulated space that I haven't thought of.

Here in central NY, I see used 3-way RV regrigerators for sale almost every week. Priced usually around $150. Mabye more scarce in other parts of the country?

RVs in this area often only get used for a few months a year and the RVs get rotted out from rain and snow and then scrapped. RVs are often offered for free if someone is willing to remvove them from a yard and they often have good applicances.

I've got over a dozen put away in my barn (all working). Next week I'm stripping two big truck campers which also have working 3-ways, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc.

Cooling unit is the way to go. They come with complete instructions and considering your a quick study I'm sure you could figure out how to install it. About 400 bucks. My fridge didn't work when I first bought it and I did the block ice in a dish pan thing for several months. Worked OK but so love my fridge after I got it fixed. That was almost 10 years ago and still working fine so cooling unit is not a short lived repair. Here are a couple of the cheaper places to look.

http://www.rvcool.com/

http://rvicebox.com/?gclid=CNfGxbXLjLkCFQ9eQgodCDQAHw

I have purchased from the second supplier and had excellent results. Not for my Toyota but for my Tiger Provan. Packed nicely, shipped quickly and works perfect

Linda S

Yeah they really are not hard to replace either. Guess people up here know what they got $150 will never buy a good one more like $400 even for a little one.

Yeah they really are not hard to replace either. Guess people up here know what they got $150 will never buy a good one more like $400 even for a little one.

I paid $500 in Rockland Maine for a complete running rust-free 1978 Toyota Chinook with a good working three-way frig included. I find it hard to believe that if an entire running RV can be bought for $500 (with a good fridge) . . .a fridge by iteself is never to be found cheaper in Maine.

People around here (central NY) also "know what they've got." That being said - used RV refrigerators in good working condition are not uncommon and $150 is usually all they bring in a private sale. Dealers of course ask a lot more. I called the only RV dealer near me last winter about applicance prices. He was asking $250 for used known-to-be-working 3-way refrigerators and for used propane furnaces (Herman's RV sales in Walton, NY).

This is the sort of deal I see often on Craigslist. This one happens to be in WV . . but for $50 seems the shipping cost might be worth it to someone who really needs it (if it's really as described)

I have the same Trav'Ler fridge I got 20 year ago for free. Still working great. Made in Japan. A friend of mine borrows it ever summer and uses it at his summer camp here when he comes up from Florida..

Wheeling 26003, WV, United States - 2 weeks ago on craigslist.org
For Sale $50
Trav' Ler Gas/Electric refrigerator. Removed from coach working. Decent shape. Model 702-40. "Full Size" model. Probably from the late 1980's. Call ... Location: Wheeling

I paid $500 in Rockland Maine for a complete running rust-free 1978 Toyota Chinook with a good working three-way frig included. I find it hard to believe that if an entire running RV can be bought for $500 (with a good fridge) . . .a fridge by iteself is never to be found cheaper in Maine.

People around here (central NY) also "know what they've got." That being said - used RV refrigerators in good working condition are not uncommon and $150 is usually all they bring in a private sale. Dealers of course ask a lot more. I called the only RV dealer near me last winter about applicance prices. He was asking $250 for used known-to-be-working 3-way refrigerators and for used propane furnaces (Herman's RV sales in Walton, NY).

Well I should have called NY first the last guy I asked if he would sell the fridge in a camper with the roof falling in said yeah $300.Another one with a camper in likewise condition said no because he was going to fix it up been sitting there for 3 years in the same spot. A rust free any thing in Maine wintered in Florida.

Well I should have called NY first the last guy I asked if he would sell the fridge in a camper with the roof falling in said yeah $300.Another one with a camper in likewise condition said no because he was going to fix it up been sitting there for 3 years in the same spot. A rust free any thing in Maine wintered in Florida.

Our stuff is rustier here then it gets in Maine - at least in the Rockland area. I went up there to buy my 1992 Dodge diesel truck. The old guy drove it all year around but it was in much better shape then if it had come from my area in NY. He told me that where he lives near Rockland, they use more sand on the road instead of salt.

So far I've only been to one place where stuff gets rustier then here in central NY. That's where my other home is in northern Michigan. There they salt the roads all summer and all winter. Summer for "dust control" and winter for ice and snow.

By the way - not everyone sells stuff cheap here. Besides adds for $150 refrigerators, I also see them asking $300-$500. That goes with anything in the classified ads.

I don't understand the problem. There are used and working RV refrigerators for sale all over the country for $75 to $250 (except maybe Maine??).

Shipping is a problem as well as buying "sight-unseen." But if you keep your eyes open, chances are one will turn up that's driving distance away.

I see them on a weekly basis here in NY in the $100 -$200 price ranges. Doing a quick Net search, I see the same all over the USA.

Refrigerator for rv

Albany NY, United States - 1 week ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $145

Refrigertor for rv or, 12V and Prpane, 110, in good shape, works good size 18w 22d front door is 193/8, more rv parts call ... or E-mail no texting please

For Sale $400Marshall, KS, United States - 1 week ago on craigslist.org

Posted: ... , 10:20pm edt rv Generator and Refrigerator - $400 (Marshall) 2.5 kw Onan rv generator $350 obo, Dometric rv refrigerator, runs on lp gas or electric $150 obo or $400 for both, will concider trades,12' awning, light weight utility trailer.................. Call ... . Location: Marshall

Rv Refrigerator (Gas/Electric) - $50 (Wheeling)

Wheeling 26003, WV, United States - 2 weeks ago on craigslist.org

For Sale $50

Trav' Ler Gas/Electric refrigerator. Removed from coach working. Decent shape. Model 702-40. "Full Size" model. Probably from the late 1980's. Call ... Location: Wheelin

Rv Refrigerator / Freezer, 3-way - snap-on brand...

Spokane Valley WA, United States - 2 weeks ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $150

I have for sale a moderate size refrigerator / freezer for your rv motor home, 5th wheel, garage, shop or travel trailer. This item is used but works perfectly! It is a 3 way power source using either propane, 12 volt or 110 power. This unit measures - 20.5" Wide x 40.25" Tall x 24.5" Deep Perfect for

2 Way rv Refrigerator

Boise ID, United States - 1 month ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $300

A 2 way refrigerator runs on electric or propane for $300.00 or reasonable offer. We bought it last year when we had our tent trailer. It didn`t fit in the trailer so we built a box around it and carried it in the back of our truck. It came in handy. Will take box off if you ..

Demotic rv Refrigerator - 275 Cleburne

Dallas 75240, TX, United States - 1 week ago on listlux.com

For Sale $275

Demotic 1.9 cubic inch 110v12vlp Gas refrigerator. In good shape and runs on all three sources. Was removed from a defunct Palamino Pop-up cer. 635 purchased new off the shelf...275. Location Cleburne

Rv refrigerator domestic - 250 port allen ...

Baton Rouge 70817, LA, United States - 1 week ago on semesh.com

For Sale

This is a domestic Refridator it does work we upgraded to a frost free it is electric and gas Location port allen

Rv Refrigerator - $200 (Kansas City)

Kansas City MO, United States - 3 weeks ago on craigslist.org

For Sale $200

I have a working refrigerator out of a of motor home we dismantled. It is a Sibir brand name. It is 12volt, 120volt or propane. We are asking $200 for the Sibir. Also have two furnaces, stove, awning and some potable water tanks

Rv refrigerator

Las Vegas 89195, NV, United States - 3 weeks ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $275

Rv refrigerator - $275 (craig/clayton) Dometic rv Refrigerator, electric/propane Good Condition Model# rm2652 call Tifanie

Rv refrigerator, toilet and conventional...

Tigard OR, United States - 1 week ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $350

I have a used rv refrigerator that`s in great working condition asking $250. I also have a brand new rv toilet out of the box $50. I have a conventional oven/microwave great working condition asking $80. I can sell all three as a bundle for $350. Or separate for the askin

Norcold rv 2 Way ac/dc Refrigerator

Indianapolis IN, United States - 1 week ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $150

This came out of a boat that was seldom used. These cost $700.00+ to replace. This works great and is currently plugged in. apx size is 20"h x 18"w x 21" d Call ... or

Rv or Van Refrigerator 12 Volt

Newell 28126, NC, United States - 1 week ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $175

I am selling my Dometic refrigerator for $175.00 It is in good working condition. It runs off of "lp Gas" or "12 Volt dc". Not 120 Volts ac If you are interested you may call or tex me at ... Thanks for looking, Tom

Rv 2Dr Refrigerator - 125 Marble Falls

Austin 78727, TX, United States - 3 weeks ago on listlux.com

For Sale $125

This is an Instamatic 2 door refrigeratorfreezer. Works good on electric or gas. Used until 2 weeks ago and went to a new straight electric. Tired of defrosting it. Would be good for another rvor even a Deer lease. 125.00 cash Please call ... Location Marble Fall

Dometic rv portable refrigerator

Topeka KS, United States - 4 weeks ago on reachoo.com

For Sale $125

This is model rc2000..works on electric. .propane. .12volt..propane has never been used..mostly 110 electric. .needs new 12v end on cord..

But the bigger issue is how are you going to test a used 3 way fridge that is sitting in someones garage rather than being installed in an RV? It is not as if you can hang around long enough for it to get fully cold even if you could power it up on all three power options.

Tell the seller to plug it into an AC outlet a few hours before you come to look at it. If it works on AC - you know the major refrigerator components work. The only thing in question is if the gas burner is in working order, or not. Usually not a big deal if it's NOT working.