Odometer stopped working (partially)

tcmchef

Good evening! I just acquired a 1982 Toyota Dolphin motorhome. The odometer was working for the last week, and just stopped working over the weekend when it turned over to 119800. The 1/10 mile gauge is still working, however the miles are not registering, with the odometer stuck at 119800. Would anyone know if it is a cable, odometer or instrument cluster problem? Thanks for any insights!

Positive Qi,

tcmchef

Good evening! I just acquired a 1982 Toyota Dolphin motorhome. The odometer was working for the last week, and just stopped working over the weekend when it turned over to 119800. The 1/10 mile gauge is still working, however the miles are not registering, with the odometer stuck at 119800. Would anyone know if it is a cable, odometer or instrument cluster problem? Thanks for any insights!

Positive Qi,

tcmchef

Odometer is turned by the same cable as the speedometer. If that's still working your cable is probably OK. Must be odometer itself. It's an 82. Do you really need to know how many more miles you have put on it?

Linda S

Positive Qi,

tcmchef

If the 1/10 mile gauge is working it is not a cable malfunction. It is in the gear set.

Take a look at this posting describing the same kind of condition you seem to have. Of course it is not likely to be the same brand of odometer but it will give you the concept of what might have gone wrong and if you could possibly DIY the fix.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/571234-why-odometer-gears-break.html

Yeah they get sticky...

You can take it apart and see if you can get it moving better, just be aware that A. You are tampering with the odometer which is sort of illegal and B. there are a lot of little moving parts and its easy to completely screw it up.

Having said that I have taken one apart and put it back together, and got it working. You just need to pay attention to detail. Or just live with it. But if its not working now...what's the worst that can happen??

TCM chef? Awesome.

May the Tao be with you :)