Alternator problems?

soulshine73

i have a mid 70's 16 ft. camper with a 20r engine. alternator is not charging the battery so i can not drive at night. i figure i need a new alternator. will a regular 20r alternator work or do i need a special one because it is a camper? should i just rebuild the old one? thank you for any help/ comments in advance.

i have a mid 70's 16 ft. camper with a 20r engine. alternator is not charging the battery so i can not drive at night. i figure i need a new alternator. will a regular 20r alternator work or do i need a special one because it is a camper? should i just rebuild the old one? thank you for any help/ comments in advance.

You'rs most likely has an external regulator it maybe worth your while to have some one check it out for you instead of replacing parts till it works. There is nothing special about the fact it is a MH same stuff as the pickup

the xternal regulater is under the hood it should be on the driver side fender under the hoodmost often a squre black box with a plugin if there is a trustworthy rebuildre they can bench test the alternater to make shure. beware some of the places will tell you it is no good to sell you somthing i had that happen to me once

In case anyone cares still...later model 22Rs have easily rebuildable alternators. You just replace the brushes, which tend to be the only things that wear out. Under $20.

But with the earlier engines like the 20R, the alternator is built differently and I couldn't find a good way to get at the brushes to replace them. I'll end up getting a rebuilt or new unit when mine starts failing.