Anyone build a table?

sdboltdude

I need some ideals on building a table

one small table for between captain chairs

& one for the couch/bed

Maybe a 3' by 16" table(enough to have walking room)

I'm going to use flush mount table mounts..

I was thinking of ply board and some kind of thin laminate

I want to be as thrifty as possible$$$$

They make a stain grade pine slab of those dimensions. I got mine at Loews. They come in different widths and lengths.

I fabricated all my interior and cabinets from this. Makes a much nicer appearance than plywood. I used 3 coats of gloss urethane for the finish.

They make a stain grade pine slab of those dimensions. I got mine at Loews. They come in different widths and lengths.

I fabricated all my interior and cabinets from this. Makes a much nicer appearance than plywood. I used 3 coats of gloss urethane for the finish.

post a pic please would love to see it

ty

steve

Unable to post from my phone, and no access to a laptop. If you pm me your phone # I'll try an SMS to you. Fred.

Laminate is not especially thrifty if you have to buy it new unless you get it from a building surplus supply house or leftovers from the "materials" section on craigslist.

If you get a pine board and want to stain it remember that pine can get very blotchy from many types of stains. You should do one of two things, get a gel stain that won't blotch pine or put a pre stain treatment on the board. The Minwax brand will have all the info you need for preventing a blotchy mess on pine.

Karin is right about that. I chose pine because I planned to finish it with clear urethane. The panels themselves are clear and knot free. You may see some difference in finish where the grain changes direction. You would want to pretreat the cut edges. They will come in darker than the surface. (if you choose to stain)

Thanks Fred & Karin

if im lucky Grandpa might have some pine at wood his wood shop

with good stain....

Karin is right about that. I chose pine because I planned to finish it with clear urethane. The panels themselves are clear and knot free. You may see some difference in finish where the grain changes direction. You would want to pretreat the cut edges. They will come in darker than the surface. (if you choose to stain)

Laminate is not especially thrifty if you have to buy it new unless you get it from a building surplus supply house or leftovers from the "materials" section on craigslist.

If you get a pine board and want to stain it remember that pine can get very blotchy from many types of stains. You should do one of two things, get a gel stain that won't blotch pine or put a pre stain treatment on the board. The Minwax brand will have all the info you need for preventing a blotchy mess on pine.

Steve, I'm not sure how your Captain chairs are setup but mine has a slim original table. I also have a home brew table for the couch. Key point for this table is it's adjustable, meaning it can be pulled out into the aisle so the Captain chairs can use it. A big Dinner table. I like the tapered edge on the couch table for easy access.

Hope this helps!

Gary

post-6384-0-26010200-1373950463_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-72252400-1373950479_thumb.jp

found a 16x24 new table and flush mount kit for $50

on ebay

will post a pic when installed

going to use your sliding table design Gary

like the ideal of table sliding to captain chairs

or even better a walkway..

Where did you get the channel slides for the table? I had a similar set-up on another motorhome and really liked it, but was not able to find metal for the slides.

My current motorhome had no table when I brought it home. I purchased a 4x4-foot piece of 3/4” oak plywood at Lowe's. It had been damaged on one edge so it was less than 1/2 price. I cut it to fit the space and finished with it with several coats of polyurethane. I used a marine table stand for the base so that I did not have to drill through the floor.

post-4493-0-81339600-1374514039_thumb.jppost-4493-0-60966300-1374514083_thumb.jp