Converter for cigarette lighter

mini-wini-dan

Just purchased one of these from amazon.com. It did not work. Any suggestions for running off of a cig. lighter power point with a converter that will run a fan or cd player. I have a power pack with 500 amp 1000 amp peak that has a power pt (cig lighter type) for taking power off. I just need a good converter to adapt at this point for powering a fan or radio.

I'm not sure what your asking? I think your saying you bought a 500 watt Inverter that plugs directly into your Cigarette lighter plug, but it doesn't work.

Make sure the Cig lighter plug has 12 volts. The one in my truck is wired thru the Ignition switch, the one thats used as an antenna amplifier is wired to the coach battery via a self resetting circuit breaker.

Check the "watts" or "amps" of the fan, make sure your not exceeding the Inverter.

Same for the radio, but I suspect unless your using an industrial fan, you should be OK.

JOhn MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Not sure what you are talking about either, but guessing same as waitor - that you are trying to run a 500 amp inverter off cig lighter (CL). If so, I see problems ahead (or maybe behind). That large of an inverter will either blow the fuse powering the CL or melt the internals of the CL (yes I did it once - to the in cabin CL - after that it would not power anything - so I took it out& was able to solder it back into working condition).

A 500 amp inverter needs to be wired by heavier wire to a good source - like directly to the battery (thru a circuit breaker /fuse).

BTW, almost all walmarts & RV stores carry some very low draw DC fans that clip on (equipped with CL plug).

As for the CD player, I would suggest you find one that uses DC power. Most use a 100v ac to some voltage DC plug anyway.

Try something that is known good in your CL to see if it is even functional at this point,

Hope my assumption was on track or I just wasted time typing.

Sorry to confuse the issue. The inverter is a separate item from the 500 amp unit (which is primarily used for jump starting). It is basically a battery storage device that can be plugged into standard 110v plug for charging and is then portable for traveling. It also has a compressor for inflating a tire and a jack built in for accessing power to possibly run a fan or radio. I am just looking for a converter to insert in it's power point (cigarette lighter type) that converts to plug (female) to plug in standard plug from fan or radio.

The inverter I am talking about was supposed to make this happen but I have noticed that it works only sporadically and is basically useless. I know better products are available so I am just asking for a reference to a better product that does this successfully. I tried using this inverter in both power points available the one in my truck cab and the one on my 500 amp power pack.

I don't like the cl invertors I have one and don't like it

I use my jumpbox for radio *will also power up tv for 1/2 hour or more" with a cl power invertor

radio will play my for over 25 hours(runs on 12volt)

for the best power go buy a invertor that has battery terminals

on them and power from battery itself

with heavy gage wire

One more time to make sure I understand.

post-4544-0-48660900-1373713974_thumb.jp You have one of those emergency jump start battery things (similar to photo)

post-4544-0-32692800-1373713982_thumb.jp You bought a cigarette plug Inverter (similar to photo)

When you plug the inverter into the jump start, its intermittent, works sometimes, sometimes not.

Have you tried the inverter using the trucks or the coach cigarette plug. Trying to see if its a bad inverter, but I suspect the Emergency jump start unit is fluctuating its 12 volt output and that may be tripping off the inverter.

(Sorry fopr the confusion, when you were saying "power point" I'm thinking "Microsoft power point presentation, and trying to figure out if your trying to run a computer or projector off of this)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I tried the inverter in the vehicle's cig lighter plug in. It worked better there than on the power pack which is a stanley battery jump starter that has a compressor and alternative 12 volt power source. That 12 v power source is built into the unit and looks like a cig lighter power point. This point can power DC appliances and accessories.

My main reason for getting this was for jump starting and tire inflation but if I can get it to run a fan while parked without electric hook up that would be why I'm looking for converting a house fan to dc connection. Or maybe there are appliances already rigged for this application?

Just purchased one of these from amazon.com. It did not work. Any suggestions for running off of a cig. lighter power point with a converter that will run a fan or cd player. I have a power pack with 500 amp 1000 amp peak that has a power pt (cig lighter type) for taking power off. I just need a good converter to adapt at this point for powering a fan or radio.

From what I've seen, all the Stanley power-packs are pieces of junk, on a relative scale. One of there biggest - model J5C09 and rated 500/1000 amps only has a 19 amp-hour battery and a 12 volt power port that trips its breaker at 5 amps.

The Duracell Power Pack 600 is far better. I've had two now for near 5 years. I just had to put a new battery in one of them. They use a 26 amp-hour battery, a 15 amp 12 volt power port, a 2 amp USB port, and also has a built-in 600 watt inverter that can handle surges up to 960 watts.

With any of the power packs - the weight tells the story. The Stanley only weighs 17.5 lbs. The Duracell weighs 32 lbs. We've plugged a 19" LCD TV and DVD player into it and watched 2 hour movies with it and never had a problem. I was also glad to find out how easy it was to renew the battery inside. Takes a standard wheel chair type AGM battery.

the air compressor will work fine for bike tires

they will not pump air into your RV tires it weighs to much

I tried the inverter in the vehicle's cig lighter plug in. It worked better there than on the power pack which is a stanley battery jump starter that has a compressor and alternative 12 volt power source. That 12 v power source is built into the unit and looks like a cig lighter power point. This point can power DC appliances and accessories.

My main reason for getting this was for jump starting and tire inflation but if I can get it to run a fan while parked without electric hook up that would be why I'm looking for converting a house fan to dc connection. Or maybe there are appliances already rigged for this application?

Yeah most of the off the shelf jump packs had 18 AH batteries. Yes they will start a car but they do not have a lot of reserve power so the fan would be short lived. House fans generally use induction motors and will not run on DC or even 12 volts AC. Fantastic Fan and others make 12 volt DC portable fans that do a pretty good job just for RV's. The inverters are rated in watts so a 500 amp 12 volt inverter would be 6,000 watts!! That's a lot of batteries! A 500 watt inverter would power a hose fan but you would be a lot better off with a 12 volt DC fan connected to a real battery.

We've run three 10" AC house fans in our truck camper, all night . . off of one 96 AH battery and one 750 watt mod-wave inverter. Off the shelf Walmart fans. NO issuses. Each fan draws 50 watts when run through the inverter. Yes, there's a bit of loss due to changing DC to AC, but certainly not enough to worry about. We are using our truck camper right now in the Michigan UP. We set up at night. Watch one or two movies and then go to sleep with two or three fans going all night off of the one battery. Never killed it yet. Most inverters in this wattage range run at 92-95% efficiency and very little heat. The inverter we have uses a thermal fan switch and it has never come on (to cool the unit when hot).

I use one of the portable power packs at work every week to pump up tires and pretty much every day to jump start vehicles. The weight of the vehicle has nothing to do with pumping up a tire. If you are putting 60 psi into the tire, it is still 60 psi. The vehicle can weigh 3000 or 6000 and the tire pressure is still 60 psi. It does take a LOT longer to pump up a large tire than a small tire. It can take our portable pack 15 minutes to pump up an SUV tire and the battery is pretty low when we get done.

I have also topped off the tires in my personal RV with a very cheap Harbour Freight compressor and have not had any problem. It just takes a while.